A gorgeous broiled ruby red grapefruit mojito with attitude from a red chili pepper slice.The hot cooler is a thing!
This is how I make it:
- I broiled some pink/ ruby red grapefruit with sugar on top until perfectly caramelized. Then I juiced it in a bowl to get all that goodness out of it, strained it through a mesh strainer so there won’t be any seeds or pulp floating around in my cocktail.
- Then I muddled some mint with lime and agave, hit it with a nice light rum, or vodka, and topped it with the grapefruit juice, a splash of sparkling water and a slice of red chili pepper for attitude! Caliente! By all means, feel free to leave out the booze and have this as a mocktail all week long.
- Finish with beautiful basil or lavender blossoms!
If you like things extra spicy you can actually muddle the red chili pepper with the mint and lime.
The best mojito cocktails / mocktails with or without vodka or rum, and a nice kick from red chili!
- 4 pink/red grapefruit (cut in half)
- 2 wedges lime
- 2 slices lime
- 2 slices grapefruit (for garnish)
- 2 shots rum or vodka
- 2 tbsp agave or honey
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1/3 c sparkling water
- 4 slices red chili pepper
- 4 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 sprigs lavender or basil with blossoms
- 2 c ice cubes
Pour the granulated sugar on a plate.
Swipe the rim of the glasses with a lime wedge and dip the rim in the granulated sugar. Set aside.
Preheat your broiler.
Slice the grapefruit in half and dip the cut side into the granulated sugar until coated. Place them cut side up on a broiler proof pan and broil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelizes on top.
Remove the grapefruit from the broiler and allow to cool.
Using a citrus reamer juice the grapefruit into a bowl. Strain into a cup and set aside.
Add a lime wedge, 1 tablespoon of agave or honey and 2 tablespoons of mint leaves to each glass. Using a cocktail muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, muddle together well until the lime is crushed.
Pour one shot of rum or vodka in each glass and add the grapefruit slice. Fill the glass with the ice.
Divide the grapefruit juice between the two glasses and top it off with a splash of the sparkling water.
Garnish with one slice of lime, a slice of chili, a sprig of mint and lavender or basil blossoms. Enjoy !