A gorgeous broiled ruby red grapefruit mojito with attitude from a red chili pepper slice.The hot cooler is a thing!
This is how I make it:
- I broiled some pink/ ruby red grapefruit with sugar on top until perfectly caramelized. Then I juiced it in a bowl to get all that goodness out of it, strained it through a mesh strainer so there won’t be any seeds or pulp floating around in my cocktail.
- Then I muddled some mint with lime and agave, hit it with a nice light rum, or vodka, and topped it with the grapefruit juice, a splash of sparkling water and a slice of red chili pepper for attitude! Caliente! By all means, feel free to leave out the booze and have this as a mocktail all week long.
- Finish with beautiful basil or lavender blossoms!
If you like things extra spicy you can actually muddle the red chili pepper with the mint and lime.
- 4 pink/red grapefruit (cut in half)
- 2 wedges lime
- 2 slices lime
- 2 slices grapefruit (for garnish)
- 2 shots rum or vodka
- 2 tbsp agave or honey
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1/3 c sparkling water
- 4 slices red chili pepper
- 4 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 sprigs lavender or basil with blossoms
- 2 c ice cubes
- Pour the granulated sugar on a plate.
- Swipe the rim of the glasses with a lime wedge and dip the rim in the granulated sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Slice the grapefruit in half and dip the cut side into the granulated sugar until coated. Place them cut side up on a broiler proof pan and broil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelizes on top.
- Remove the grapefruit from the broiler and allow to cool.
- Using a citrus reamer juice the grapefruit into a bowl. Strain into a cup and set aside.
- Add a lime wedge, 1 tablespoon of agave or honey and 2 tablespoons of mint leaves to each glass. Using a cocktail muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, muddle together well until the lime is crushed.
- Pour one shot of rum or vodka in each glass and add the grapefruit slice. Fill the glass with the ice.
- Divide the grapefruit juice between the two glasses and top it off with a splash of the sparkling water.
- Garnish with one slice of lime, a slice of chili, a sprig of mint and lavender or basil blossoms. Enjoy !