Roasted Vegetable Salad
Great Thanksgiving sides are pure gold. Not that there’s anything wrong with a dairy-free green bean casserole but If I were to choose one show stopping fall dish that is perfectly balanced on the sweet, savory and citrusy spectrum, it would be this Italian roasted vegetable salad! The earthiness of the heirloom black rice stands up beautifully to the textures of the roasted vegetables and the zesty vinaigrette. Served hot or cold, this autumn salad is not to be missed!
There’s still room to build on the concept and make it your own with the addition of some of these balsamic roasted figs, crispy roasted broccoli or heirloom rainbow carrots. The trick is in timing everything just right so the veggies are al done at about the same time.
The Citrus Vinaigrette
About the Black Rice
I’m really fond of this heirloom whole grain rice. It cooks beautifully adding both texture and nuttiness to your dish. Make sure to rinse it well before cooking to obtain a nice fluffy separation of the grains. Alternatively a wild rice mix could be used with mild variations in the flavor profile, I just really love the color contrast between the black grains and the colorful veggies. In lieu of rice, black Puy lentils and even quinoa would make a great protein packed canvas here. Go wild!
Make Ahead Tips
Since this salad is absolutely delicious served hot or cold it can be made a head and the components stored individually. The vegetables could be reheated and crisped up again at 450″F for 5 minutes or so. The recipe could simply be brought to room temperature or heated through in a skillet or microwave oven.
- Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf
- Vegetable Pot Pie
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
- Vegan Mac and Cheese <–the Best!
- Oven Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Mushroom Bourguignon Stew
- Italian Almond Cookies
- Ultimate Vegetarian Stuffing
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Wild Mushrooms and Potatoes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- Sweet Potato Rounds
- Crusty Bread.
Thanksgiving Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 1.5 cups black rice
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 leaf bay
- 2 strips orange peel
- Roast the Beets: Preheat your oven to 400”F with a large cast iron skillet on the bottom rack. Rinse and scrub the beets well and wrap them loosely in aluminum foil, making sure to leave a little opening for the steam to escape. Place them on a rimmed tray in the preheated oven for 45 mins to 1 hour until softened. When cool enough to handle peel the skin off of the beets and cut them into small squares. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use. (Note - the beets can be roasted in advance or replaced with store-bought roasted beets)2 red beets
- Roast the Butternut Squash - Peel the butternut and discard the seeds. Cut it in into 1 inch cubes and transfer to a large baking sheet. Drizzle with a lug of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Spread them on the baking sheets preferably without touching each other. Roast in the preheated 400"F oven for about 35 to 45 minutes until soft and it starts to caramelize around the edges.1 butternut squash, 3 tbsp olive oil
- Brussel Sprouts - Meanwhile rinse and dry the sprouts and trim the ends. Half them lengthwise and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt. Toss to coat and carefully transfer them to the preheated cast iron skillet you have in the oven. Do your best to have them cut side down for a nice golden brown sear. After about 15 minutes in the oven give them a gentle toss so they brown all over. Cook another 10 minutes or so until done to your liking. If your timing is right both the squash + the sprouts should be done at about the same time.1 lb brussel sprouts
Make the Rice
- Combine the black rice, water, orange peel, sea salt and bay leaf in a medium size pot ( I used an 8-inch wide pot). Bring to a simmer and cover with a tight lid. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes until all water has been absorbed. Remove the pot from heat and allow it to sit tightly covered for 10 to 15 minutes, the rice will finish cooking in its own steam.1.5 cups black rice, 2.5 cups water, 1 leaf bay, 1 pinch sea salt, 2 strips orange peel
- Transfer the cooked rice to a mixing bowl and discard the bay and orange peel. Drizzle with a couple of teaspoons of the blood orange olive oil and squeeze half of the orange over the top. Fluff with a fork. Transfer the rice to a large serving tray and top with the roasted butternut squash, red beets and Brussel sprouts.
Make the Blood Orange Citrus Vinaigrette
- In a small jar combine 3 tablespoons of blood orange olive oil, the lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Shake to combine, taste and adjust seasonings with more lemon or salt until you are happy.4 tbsp blood orange olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 pinch sea salt
- Drizzle the blood orange vinaigrette all over the black rice and roasted vegetable salad. Garnish with the fresh basil, orange zest and edible flowers.1 orange, 3 sprigs fresh basil, 2 tbsp edible flowers