Sicilian honey roasted figs with vanilla and aged balsamic glaze. Lovely served with goat cheese, perfect as a pastry filling, pizza topping, in a salad, or have them for dessert over whipped ricotta or frozen yogurt.
We came home from Sicily to a loaded fig tree in the back yard, so these divine balsamic figs with honey were begging to be made. I brought a nice big jar of wild Sicilian honey, and this was just the perfect occasion to dive into it.
Pure magic takes place in one pan, everything tossed together and then roasted for about 25 minutes. Once everything mingles together you’ll end up with layers of flavors peeking through at every bite.
All the sweetness from the honey and the figs is perfectly brightened up with notes of lemon and an exotic vanilla undertone.
I even serve these figs as appetizer on mini pizzas with goat cheese and caramelized onions. Sweet and salty never tasted this good.
I’ll save the rest to make a good home-made jam, I might even use this recipe as a base because it is the best ever you guys, no kidding. Hope you try them Pronto!
Honey Balsamic Roasted Figs
- 2 lb purple figs -halved or sliced
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar -aged
- 2 tbsp wild honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1 lemon -juiced
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter plant based
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 3 strips lemon peel
- Preheat your oven to 400”F
- Use the butter to coat a large roasting tray all over.
- Rinse the figs well and cut off the stem. Slice them in half lengthwise and add them to the buttered roasting tray.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar all over the top, together with the vanilla extract, balsamic vinegar and honey. Squeeze the lemon all over and give everything a gentle toss to coat. Try to arrange the figs cut side down if possible in one single layer.
- Roast the balsamic coated figs in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, until caramelized to your liking and the balsamic honey sauce has reduced to a syrupy consistency.
- Serve on pizza with goat cheese, ricotta or as a dessert sauce.