Easy and quick, this is the best Italian wedding cookies recipe ever. Loaded with walnuts and hazelnuts and coated in fluffy powder sugar like a snowball, these Italian cookies are sure to steal everybody’s heart!
I know this is random you guys, and tough I have made and photographed more than 5 seasonal recipes this week, today I bring you the best Cookies.
Last night I started craving cookies, so weird, so random, but couldn’t help it. And then I remembered I stocked up on organic butter at Whole Foods last week because it was something like 50% off.
Clearly my Italian wedding cookies were begging to be made!
So here I am, cleaning little cookie crumbs out of my keyboard while I rush to share this easy recipe with you.
Let me be more specific: stupidly easy Italian wedding cookies recipe, you just can’t fail at this.
Basically I make everything in the bowl of my kitchen aid, just whisk all ingredients together, one by one until combined. Then I shape the dough into golfball size cookies and bake them for 20 minutes. And then, coat them like crazy in powder sugar and indulge.
I make about 45 cookies out of one batch of dough, I suspect you could shape them even smaller and end up with about 55. Patience was not my virtue yesterday. See what you can master 😉
What makes this the best Italian Wedding Cookies recipe is all that butter. True Story!
- Good organic butter from pasture raised cows, and the magic of walnuts and hazelnuts mixed together in the perfect ratio for that je ne sais quoi deliciousness.
- You can make them totally vegan using cultured plant based butter!
- If there are 2 cookie recipes one must master and have in their life is this one and the fluffy ricotta cookies.
- Do not grease the cookie sheet before baking, these really are butter cookies and are perfectly coated themselves. Butter forever!
- If grinding the nuts yourself, make sure to leave a little bit of texture, you don’t want nut flour, just ground nuts with a little rustic texture.
- Feel free to replace the walnuts and hazelnuts in the recipe with an equal amount of ground pistachios.
P.S. Store your cookies on the kitchen counter loosely covered with aluminum foil.
- 1 1/2 c salted butter organic
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c ground walnuts
- 3/4 c ground hazelnuts
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 3/4 c powder sugar
- 1/2 c powder sugar for dusting
Preheat your oven to 325”F.
In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and 3/4 c of the powder sugar until fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract and little by little the ground walnuts and hazelnuts. Mix until combined.
Start adding in the flour little by little until mixed in.
Prepare your largest cookie sheet and using a small spoon form the cookies into rounds, the size of a golfball or smaller. You should have about 45 cookies.
Arrange all the cookies on the baking sheet without touching each other.
Bake the cookies in the preheated 325”F oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the wedding cookies from the oven and allow them to cool off for a few minutes before rolling them over the reserved powder sugar.
Arrange the cookies on a platter and dust with more powder sugar on top before serving.