Avocado Cake Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Please meet the best Avocado Cake, fluffy like a pillow and draped in a luscious blueberry glaze. Made with creamy ricotta cheese, decadent dark chocolate chunks and smooth olive oil. Can you resist?
It’s oh so good, creamy and decadent, a perfect blend of smooth extra virgin olive oil, creamy ricotta cheese and some avocado for both color and richness. To that, you add a handful of roughly chopped dark chocolate, not too much, just enough to give us a few chocolaty pockets at every other bite. And then you dress it up with the most luscious blueberry glaze.
Great as a birthday cake, easy to make, you should totally know by now that i don’t do complicated. If I can make this, so can you, believe in yourself!
Last week’s Lemon Olive Oil Cake was a dream, but this rustic blueberry glaze olive oil cake recipe is a gift from the Heavens above. Can we even handle this beautiful mess kids ?!
- Easy to make
- Avocado + Chocolate
- Exceptionally moist
- So delicious
- Blueberry glaze.
How to Make Avocado Cake
- Cream the eggs and sugars together until fluffy!
- One by one you mix in the remaining ingredients until incorporated.
- Bake your olive oil cake for 45 minutes to 1 our!
- While the cake is cooling off make that luscious blueberry glaze the pour over the top.
Avocado + chocolate is a magical combo, but I know some people who just can’t stand it. I won’t name any names right now because I’m not like that, but to those of you I would say: just skip the chocolate altogether or replace it with fresh blueberries. Because you know we have that beautiful glaze to tie them all in together.
About the Blueberry Glaze
When making the glaze you might need more powder sugar depending on how thick the blueberry sauce ends up being. So the best thing to do is to whisk together some of the blueberry sauce into the powder sugar little by little. Once the glaze has a nice, smooth, thick consistency that coats the back of a spoon, you should be good to go.
- for easy, no mess release of the cake, make sure to use a 10 inch spring form cake pan lined with parchment paper cut to size.
- check the cake for doneness at the 45 minute mark. You want to make sure that a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean not dry, you want it a little bit gooey.
- make sure the cake has cooled off completely before pouring the blueberry glaze over the top, otherwise the sugar in the glaze will melt and separate from the blueberry sauce, not a good thing.
- allow the glaze to set and harden on top of the cake before cutting into it! I know this is tough, but you gotta do it!
- storage – this cake should be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to one week or frozen in airtight containers up to 4 months.
- Italian Wedding Cookies
- Ricotta Cookies
- Italian Tiramisu
- Pumpkin Bread
- Sicilian Ricotta Cake
- Lemon Muffins
- Cannoli Cream Filling.
Avocado Cake with Blueberry Glaze
- 1 cup extra Virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large avocado flesh only for color
- 2.25 cup all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1.25 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2.5 oz dark chocolate bar chopped
- Edible flowers (optional for garnish)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 cup powder sugar
Make the Avocado Cake
- Prepare a 10 inch sprig form pan lightly greased with a dab of butter. Place on a cookie sheet and set aside. (Line with parchment paper cut to size if desired to prevent sticking).
- Preheat your oven to 350”F.
- Using the whisk attachment beat together the eggs, vanilla extract and granulated sugar until creamy and fluffy. Start pouring in the olive oil while continuously whisking.
- Add the ricotta cheese and avocado and whisk until incorporated. Add the salt, baking powder and baking soda and sprinkle in the flour. Continue whisking just until incorporated.
- Add the roughly chopped chocolate to the cake batter and using a spatula fold them in.
- Pour the olive oil cake batter into the prepared spring form pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and allow it to cool off completely before removing it from the pan.
Make the Blueberry Glaze
- Add the blueberries and lime juice to a small sauce pan. Bring it to a simmer on medium heat and cook for a few minutes until the blueberries burst and released their juice. Allow it to cool.
- Strain the blueberry sauce into a bowl to separate the liquid from the solids.
- Using a small whisk start mixing together some of the blueberry sauce with the powder sugar until a thick smooth glaze forms.
- Once the olive oil cake has cooled off completely, remove it from the pan and carefully place it on a cake stand or plate. Pour the blueberry glaze over the top and allow it to set before cutting into the cake.
- Garnish with flowers or extra chocolate chunks if desired.
- If the top of your olive oil cake puffs up during baking, not to worry. As soon as it cools off the top will naturally deflate and look normal again.
You’ll Also Love:
I love using olive oil in my baked goods and this cake looks like perfection! I love that pretty colored glaze on top….yum!
Thank so much! It’s all about that glaze girl 😉
Looks like a great dessert! Looks so moist!
I have never baked an olive oil cake, but I have always wanted to try to! 🙂 Love the addition of ricotta too. I bet this is super moist. 🙂
Holy cow! This cake looks incredibly moist and flavorful. Love that there is avocado in there too. That way I won’t have to feel so guilty when I have my second slice 🙂
I love how you think 😉
What a beautiful cake!! Love that glaze on top 🙂
Thanks Amanda, you know it’s all about that glaze girl!
Give me a slice of this! What incredible flavors in this cake.
You can have two slices and extra blueberry glaze!
I love how easy this cake is and you totally had me with the blueberry glaze – YUM!
Thanks Jenn, I had me with the blueberry glaze too, because so pink and girly! hope you try it soon!