If you make this recipe please don’t forget to come back here and leave us a rating in the comment section below, it always makes my day ~ Florentina Xo’s
Traditional Peperonata Recipe
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow and green)
- 1.5 lb heirloom tomatoes - mixed colors
- 1 purple onion (small)
- 1/2 leek (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs (basil, chives + oregano)
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 lemon
- Slice the leek in half lengthwise and reserve half for later. Slice up the other half and rinse it well in a bowl of cold water. Scoop the leeks out of the water and dry them well on a tea towel.
- Warm up a large skillet on medium low flame. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the leeks with a pinch of sea salt. Saute for about 10 minutes until they start to get some color. Add the re pepper flakes.
- Rinse and cut the bell peppers into 1 inch pieces. Add them to the skillet with the leeks and give everything a good stir.
- Slice the red onion into 1 inch pieces as well and add it to the skillet. Stir well and cook everything together for about 10 minutes until the peppers start to soften and get some color.
- Meanwhile wash and cut the tomatoes into wedges or similar size pieces with the peppers.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and give everything a good stir. Cook 30 seconds then add the tomatoes. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and cover with a lid. Cook another 5 minutes or so until the tomatoes burst and release their juices.
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon to the Peperonata, taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and finish with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive and sprinkle with the fresh basil, chives and oregano.
- Serve with crusty bread, creamy polenta, toss with your favorite short pasta or cous cous.
You’ll Also Love: