These ricotta meatballs swimming in a classic arrabbiata sauce made with the finest San Marzano tomatoes are everythiiiiing!
Fluffy and moist, the absolute best Italian meatballs recipe ever!
Served with spaghetti, linguine, rigatoni or bruschetta, the only question is: can you handle this?
They are simply Italian beef meatballs with ricotta cheese inside the mix to make them extra magical. You already know I can’t bake a great thing without ricotta, and I don’t mean just muffins and cakes 😉
Anyways, you could use a mix of Italian sausage and ground beef If you like. Just don’t overwork the meat, or you’d be ruining perfection.
But it is the Holidays after all, so I sprinkled a handful of insanely creamy delicious fontina cheese over the top and let it melt under the broiler.
You could of course just serve them as appetizers in the sauce and call it a day.
I honestly wouldn’t care to post one more meatball recipe on the internet, unless of course it is the best! Especially as I am trying so hard to be a full time vegetarian. Life goals, right?!
Honestly guys, this is what Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner looks like at the shack. Definitely not your traditional menu, but wins the popular vote every single time. Plus, you can prepare it all the day before!
Super easy way to bang out your Holiday dinner, If you ask me.
P.S. Since posting this recipe we’ve gone plant-based as a family, which turned out to be one of the best decisions of our life. We now thrive on these Chickpea Meatballs instead. Please join us on the VeggieSociety .
Ricotta Meatballs Recipe
- 1 lb ground chuck organic grass fed
- 3/4 c ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp Sicilian oregano dry or fresh
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 3 tbsp grated onion
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg large
- 1/4 c bread crumbs plain gluten free
- 1/4 c Italian parsley chopped
- 1 batch of this Arrabiata sauce
- 1/3 lb Fontina cheese shredded
- Prepare the arrabiata sauce in advance according to the recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ground chuck, ricotta cheese, oregano, sea salt, garlic, onion, baking soda, bread crumbs and egg. Use your hand and mix well until everything is combined.
- Pour a little olive oil in the palm of your hands and form 21 meatballs, the size of golf balls.
- Meanwhile bring the arrabiata sauce to a simmer and drop the meatballs in the simmering sauce. Cover with a tight lid and cook on low flame for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle the meatballs over the top with the fontina cheese.
- Preheat your broiler and broil the meatball bake for a few minutes until the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve on top of mashed potatoes.
- Preheat your oven to 350"F.
- Follow all the above steps and after you sprinkle the meatballs with the cheese you loosely cover the pan with some aluminum foil. Bake for about 10 t0 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.