How to make the best homemade ricotta gnocchi from scratch, step by step recipe tutorial + quick recipe video! Classic Florentine dumplings or “ Gnudi “ made with whole milk ricotta cheese instead of potatoes, gnocchi are light and fluffy little pasta pillows with an airy, irresistible texture.
Gnudi Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe
About the gnocchi
3 secrets to perfect gnocchi:
- drain the ricotta cheese for a couple of hours and get rid of all that extra moisture!
- do not overwork the dough!
- do not overcook the gnudi!
How to serve:
- tossed with a thick homemade Marinara, Puttanesca or Arrabiata Sauce
- coated in this luscious sage brown butter sauce
- dressed in basil or parsley pesto
- topped with fresh summer herbs, arugula and dollops of fresh ricotta cheese
- sautéed asparagus, green peas and morels mushroom
- silky truffle sauce
- fresh yellow tomato sauce
- sage and pumpkin sauce, since fall is almost here!
watch how to make ricotta gnocchi video
How to Make Ricotta Gnocchi or Gnudi from Scratch
- Strain the ricotta cheese through a mesh sieve or a cheesecloth lined colander for a couple of hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, egg, parmesan and 1 cup of flour.
- Sprinkle some flour on a pastry board and shape the dough into a round ball. Sprinkle a little more flour if you feel the dough s to sticky.
- Cut the dough into 5 pieces and shape those into baseball size balls.
- Roll each ball into a tube about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick or so. Use a sharp knife and slice the gnocchi into 3/4 inch pillows or so, depending on your preference.
- Place them on a lightly floured baking sheet and run each on down the back of a fork ( as shown in the video) to create little groves for the sauce to stick to better.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it well, it should taste like sea water.
- Add the ricotta gnocchi to the boiling water and cook only until the little pillows flow to the top. Drain and toss with warm tomato sauce or all the order serving ideas above.
You’ll Also Love: