How to make the best, homemade ricotta gnocchi from scratch, step by step recipe tutorial and quick recipe video! Classic Florentine dumplings or “ Gnudi “ made with whole milk ricotta cheese instead of potatoes, gnocchi are light and fluffy little pasta pillows with an airy, irresistible texture.
About the gnocchi:
There are 3 secrets to perfect gnocchi:
- make sure to drain the ricotta cheese for a couple of hours and get rid of all that extra moisture!
- do not overwork the dough!
- do not overcook them!
How to serve:
How to Make Ricotta Gnocchi or Gnudi from Scratch
- 1 lb ricotta cheese (whole sheep's milk)
- 1 cup all purpose flour + more as needed
- 1/3 cup parmigoano reggianno cheese -grated
- 1 egg
- 2.5 cups marinara sauce (thick homemade)
- Strain the ricotta cheese through a mesh sieve or a cheesecloth lined colander for a couple of hours or overnight.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta, egg, parmesan and 1 cup of flour.
- Sprinkle some flour on a pastry board and shape the dough into a round ball. Sprinkle a little more flour if you feel the dough s to sticky.
- Cut the dough into 5 pieces and shape those into baseball size balls.
- Roll each ball into a tube about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick or so. Use a sharp knife and slice the gnocchi into 3/4 inch pillows or so, depending on your preference.
- Place them on a lightly floured baking sheet and run each on down the back of a fork ( as shown in the video) to create little groves for the sauce to stick to better.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it well, it should taste like sea water.
- Add the ricotta gnocchi to the boiling water and cook only until the little pillows flow to the top. Drain and toss with warm tomato sauce or all the order serving ideas above.