A classic Italian basil walnut pesto sauce consisting of a rustic basil leaf puree, garlic, olive oil and traditionally pine nuts, both versions included. Tough I mostly use walnuts or pine nuts, it can also be made with hazelnuts, pecans and even almonds.
How to Use Walnut Pesto:
Basil Walnut Pesto Recipe
- 2 cups Genoese basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil - or as needed
- 3/4 cups walnuts or pine nuts -lightly toasted and cooled
- 2 cloves garlic -grated
- 1/3 cup parmigiano reggianno cheese -grated
- the zest from 1 lemon
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor buzz up the walnuts with the basil leaves and olive oil until a rustic puree forms. pesto ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl and stir in the garlic, parmesan cheese, lemon zest and juice.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste with the sea salt and serve.
You’ll Also Love: