The easiest bowl licking good, oven roasted spaghetti squash recipe! How to roast spaghetti squash and use it instead of pasta, add it to soups or load it up with your favorite toppings for a perfect healthy dinner!
I have a super easy and extra delicious spaghetti squash recipe for us today!
It is one of those back to cooking school kind of posts, because I think it is more of a “how to” technique than a recipe.
In any case kids, this the season for squashes, and spaghetti squash is such a lovely one to make this time of year. I mean, how cute are those noodle like squash strands ? Adorable! Most importantly this is so healthy and at the same time delicious that I roast them quite often.
A roasted spaghetti squash recipe should be easy and not very self involved. My kind of cooking for sure!
First we cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, brush the inside with good wholesome olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and some red pepper flakes and let it roast away for one hour, or not even, depends on how you prefer it.
I like my roasted spaghetti squash recipe with a little attitude, hence the red pepper flakes, and also a little bit extra cooked so it gets nicely golden brown on top. You can throw it under the broiler for the last couple of minutes of cooking to caramelized the top.
Now I always roast two squashes at once, because it takes the same amount of time. Then I shred those nice golden squash spaghetti strands out of the shell and store them in the refrigerator for the week. Let your imagination run wild with the dinner possibilities!
What to serve roasted spaghetti squash with:
- arrabiata tomato sauce
- walnut pesto
- chicken carnitas or the best grilled chicken
- meat sauce or ragu alla bolognese
- butter and parmigiano-reggiano cheese and herbs
- Italian sausage and kale
- these ricotta meatballs
- mushrooms in white wine sauce and parsley
- this tender Italian beef stew
You can also crisp up the spaghetti squash noodles s in a cast iron skillet for breakfast, and serve with crispy cast iron eggs! So freaking good, don’t even start me on it !
My favorite part: regardless what you choose to serve your roasted spaghetti squash with, you can use the squash shells as lovely rustic serving bowls! I’m in love with them!
Now I’ve got to tell you because someone actually asked this. This roasted spaghetti squash recipe is still a recipe for squash. You are not actually shredding out magical pasta noodles, they just look like them, only with more flavor and health benefits.
So I hope you roast some spaghetti squash this weekend and eat healthy this week, because the holidays are almost here and we all know how we do in this time of year 😉
It really doesn’t get any more simple than this roasted spaghetti squash recipe, so save this one, or Pin it for later ~ Florentina xo’s
- 2 spaghetti squash large
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 1 /2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 400”F
- Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise in half. Using a spoon scoop out all the seeds and reserve for roasting.
- Place the spaghetti squash halves on a baking tray cut side up.
- Brush the cut side of the squash with the olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt and red pepper flakes over the top.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on your likeness.
- Remove the roasted spaghetti squash from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle use a fork and shred the squash onto a tray while holding the squash half horizontally.