A sweet fruit with a nutty taste and orange flesh that grows on a vine, butternut squash is one of my favorite fall and winter delicacies, right next to blood oranges. In Italy, one of the most popular ways to use butternut squash is in a butternut squash risotto, which is going be next on my menu for fall.
And since there seems to always be a fire going during the winter months, some crusty bread baking in the oven…it makes it effortless to throw in a pan of vegetables, fruit and herbs to roast alongside everything else.
This butternut squash and apple soup is your perfect rustic fall in a bowl, a must have in your recipe files.
Award winning Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup featured in Westways Magazine, made with sweet roasted butternut squash, apples, carrots and herbs, pureed in the smoothest most flavorful, ideal fall soup.
- 1 lb butternut squash -peeled, seeded and cut into one inch cubes
- 2 granny smith apples cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion -diced
- 1 carrot -sliced
- 4 tbs butter (organic grass fed)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream organic (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- black pepper to taste -freshly cracked
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 7 sprigs thyme -leaves only
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp fresh chives for garnish
- 1 pincg freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat your oven to 400 F. In a large baking dish toss the apples, butternut squash, carrot slices, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, sea salt, pepper and thyme with 1 tbs of melted butter or olive oil. Roast uncovered for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Heat up the 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low flame in a cast iron pot. Saute the diced onions with a pinch of sea salt until translucent . Add the wine and let it reduce by half.
Add the roasted squash and apples to the pot together with the vegetable or chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook together for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and using a hand held blender puree the soup until smooth. Add the heavy cream or coconut cream and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve hot with a drizzle of cream, snipped chives and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
For a Vegan version of this butternut squash apple soup, simply hold back the cream and garnish with extra herbs instead.