Who knew a pot of veggies could taste this good ?
Vegan Potato Stew Recipe
- 1 leek
- 2 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 carrots -diced
- 2 lb red potatoes - quartered
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned variety)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 sprig sage
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 chili pepper -sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tbsp ground chia seed
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2.5 qt water + more as needed
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- Rinse and slice the leeks into thin slices.
- Heat up a large soup pot over medium low flame. Add the cleaned leeks, a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Toss to coat well and cook for about 10 minutes until the leeks have wilted.
- Add the garlic, carrots, thyme, oregano, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley stalks (reserve leafy tops) together with the paprika and toss to coat.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bell pepper and potatoes. Cover by one inch with water and bring to a simmer. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the stew from heat and stir in the green peas together with the flax, chia and nutritional yeast. (This is optional but it helps thicken up the stew nicely and ads some good nutrition too). Cover with a lid and allow the stew to sit for 10 minutes before serving. This will give the peas time to thaw into the hot broth.
- Roughly chop the reserved parsley leaves and stir into the stew. Serve with fresh watercress and chili slices on top.