Easy, earthy, hearty and delicious – I can’t believe it’s not butter you guys!
Brown Rice Porcini Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- 1 leek - cleaned and sliced
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms ( can be replaced with 1/2 lb fresh variety)
- 2 cups brown rice - short grain
- 2.5 qt water -hot
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1/2 cup sunflower sprouts ( or your favorite fresh herbs)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Add the dried mushrooms together with the thyme to a large bowl and pour the hot water over them. Allow to sit for 25 minutes.
- Heat up a large skillet on medium low flame. Add the olive oil, onion, leeks and red pepper flakes with a pinch of sea salt and sautéed for about 10 minutes until wilted.
- Stir in the brown rice and add 1/3 of the mushroom stock together with the rehydrated mushrooms. Stir to combine well and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Add another 1/3 of the mushroom stock to the pot with the rice and stir well. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes stirring hard way through.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the remaining stock and add the rest to the rice. Stir well and cook another 15 minutes or so until al the liquids is absorbed and rice is cooked through.
- Just before serving add the reserved stock and give it a vigorous stir. Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and serve garnished with the sunflower sprouts, herbs and nutritional yeast.