What to serve with:
Broccoli Sweet Potato Cakes Recipe
- 1 lb roasted broccoli
- 3 lb sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp hemp powder
- 3 tbsp buckwheat or chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tbsp oregano
- 1.5 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt - or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chives -snipped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- Use these instructions to roast the broccoli or use your favorite family recipe. Allow to cool.
- Roast the sweet potatoes according to THIS RECIPE or follow these instructions:Bake the sweet potatoes at 450”F , peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes and tossed with 3 tbsp olive oil, the sea salt, onion powder, smoked paprika and oregano. Bake for 15 minutes then give everything a good toss and bake another 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Use a masher or the back of a large fork and mash them to your liking. Add a lug of olive oil, chives and thyme. Taste and adjust seasoning with more sea salt and allow to cool.
- Add the cooled sweet potato mash and roasted broccoli to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the hemp powder and buckwheat flour. Use a spatula and mix well to combine.
- Add a lug of olive oil, just enough to help everything come together nicely.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the mixture and using lightly oiled hands form 3/4 inch patties.
- Heat up a cast iron griddle on medium high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil, just enough to coat the bottom.
- Add the sweet potato cakes without overcrowding the pan, I cook them in batches of 4.
- Sear them for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until until nicely golden.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with the suggested dipping sauce, lime wedges, salsa and avocado.