Important things to remember:
- Make sure your tomatoes are chilled before starting or refrigerate the salsa for a couple of hours after you mix everything together.
- Use a food processor like this (<-amazon affiliate) not a blender. Blending it just a second too much will turn it into a sort of smoothie, so proceed with caution 😉
- Take it easy with the cumin! Start with a little bit and add more after tasting the final salsa as this little spice can be pungent and a little bit goes a long way.
- If you like your salsa on the chunky side make sure to drain the tomatoes before proceeding.
- Be mindful of the jalapeño. If you like your salsa mild start with half, if you like it spicy then add one or even more jalapeños.
- Taste and adjust seasonings 11 times and enjoy!
The best, easy and healthy homemade salsa made with canned fire roasted or San Marzano tomatoes, fresh cilantro, red and green onion, a touch of cumin for that Latin flavor and a good dash of smoked paprika.
- 28 oz canned fire roasted or San Marzano tomatoes -whole
- 1/2 small red onion -sliced orcut into chunks
- 2 green onions (scallions) -cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic -grated
- 3/4 c fresh cilantro leaves + more to taste
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 lime -juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika + more as desired
Add the red onion, scallions, garlic and jalapeño to the bowl of a food processor. Give it a buzz or two until chopped.
Add the tomatoes without juices, spices and cilantro on top and pour in the lime juice.
Very carefully press the pulse button a few quick times making sure you don’t over chop the salsa.
Transfer to a bowl and taste seasonings. Add more lime and sea salt if desired. At this point you can add the reserved tomatoes juices if you are wanting a thinner consistency.
If you want it even smokier make sure to add a little bit more smoked paprika and mix well.