A healthy, simple homemade guacamole recipe that is easy to throw together for one, or for a crowd!
Perfectly ripe avocados loaded with healthy fats, lots of flavor and a chunky rustic texture, makes this the best homemade guacamole dip you’ll find yourself making over and over again.
The secret lies in finding the perfect balance between the acidity from the limes, the sea salt and the spiciness of the peppers.
Yes, you can definitely make it without cilantro, but If you want to stay authentic you really want to keep it in there. It is lovely!
To attain that rustic chunky texture just scoop out the flesh out of the avocados, pile all your ingredients into a large bowl and gently fold to combine. Easy, right ?
No mashing allowed!
Note worthy: To keep your guacamole from browning or oxidation, throw a couple of the avocado seeds in the bowl. You could even layer a few lime or lemon slices on top before covering with plastic wrap, the acidy will keep it nice and green, like magic!
Healthy Homemade Guacamole Recipe
- 5 large ripe avocados
- 2 green onions (diced)
- 1/2 small red onion (diced or sliced)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 1 medium lime (squeezed + more to taste)
- 1/2 c fresh tomato salsa
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper (diced without seeds if you like it mild, or with seeds if you like it very spicy. You may use Serrano chiles but keep mind they are about 5 times hotter than the jalapenos)
- 1/3 c fresh cilantro leaves (or to taste)
- 4 wedges lime (for serving)
- 3 tbsp fresh chives (snipped)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper (+ more to taste)
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Reserve a couple of them.
- Inside the shell cut the avocado in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon scoop out the avocado from its shell and transfer the flesh to a bowl.
- Add the green onion, red onion, chili pepper, lime juice and cilantro to the bowl with the avocado. Drizzle with the olive oil and gently fold together.
- Season with sea salt to your taste.
- Adjust seasonings with more sea salt and lime juice and taste again until happy.
- Garnish with the snipped chives. Serve it with fresh tomato Salsa on top, or cover it with thinly sliced lemons or limes to save for later and prevent browning.
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper on top.
Homemade Guacamole Recipe Video!