Easy, No Bake 5 Ingredients Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars!
Happy first week of 2016, this the week that I’ll be covering everything in dark chocolate starting with these chocolate covered coconut bars!
Thankfully i have plenty of really nice dark chocolate leftover from the holidays that is begging to get melted. I randomly picked up a bag of organic shredded coconut last time I went to the market, which is the reason for the tray of chocolate covered coconut bars in the fridge.
I was just looking to use up some ingredients, but these turned out so good you guys that I gotta share. Nothing beats a no bake, 5 ingredient healthy dessert in the New Year, right ?
Both dark chocolate and coconut are some of the healthiest foods on Earth, so you can enjoy these lovely treats guilt free. I only used a good squeeze of agave to sweeten them and some fine vanilla extract.
I sprinkled them with some extra shredded coconut on top just for fun, I suspect they would be nice sprinkled with cocoa nibs as well.
If you are making them for the kids I bet you could find a healthier version of cute sprinkles to make them more kid appealing. Or maybe just grate some orange peel on top before placing them in the fridge. Note to self, because yours truly is an orange fanatic!
I suppose you could roll the coconut dough into balls before dipping them in chocolate, but really why bother ? The lazy cook over here sees no need for all that extra work or mess, especially when you can just shape them into bars and spend that extra time with your feet up on the coach eating them.
In hindsight, I really wish I would have had some edible flowers to sprinkle over the top, those would have been the prettiest!
Chocolate Covered Coconut Bars Recipe
- 2 c shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut for garnish
- 1/4 c coconut oil liquid
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp agave
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar
- To the bowl of a food processor add the shredded coconut, coconut oil, vanilla extract, agave and sea salt. Process together until combined and a dough like consistency forms.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set the coconut dough on top. Form it into a 1 inch thick square. Refrigerate until set.
- Meanwhile set a double boiler over low flame and melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the coconut dough and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle with more shredded coconut on top and refrigerate until set. About 30 minutes.
- Using a large knife cut the chocolate covered coconut into squares or rectangles to your liking. Enjoy chilled !