Red wine risotto with goat cheese, candied walnuts, basil and honey !
Because it has been way too long since I posted a risotto recipe on Ciao Florentina. Not sure how that happened, but I checked and for sure the chanterelle leek brown rice risotto was my latest risotto recipe. So prepare yourself for risotto 20 different ways in the weeks to come.
I can’t help it guys, I become obsessed with certain foods like this amazing red wine risotto and I just can’t stop main it.
Arborio rice cooked in a good red wine, vegetable stock and finished with creamy goat cheese, crunchy candied walnuts, fragrant basil and a touch of wild raw honey.
If you were wondering what to make for Valentine’s Day dinner for your honey, I got you covered: red wine risotto is so seductive, beautiful and delicious I just don’t see how anyone could resist.
Did I mention how easy this is too ? all you need is a little patience and half hour of your time to serve a 5 Star dinner like the pro that you are.
I will have to remind you to pick up a good bottle of red wine for this. Something you love to drink, because you only need one cup of it in the risotto, so the rest is for the table.
A red wine risotto is a very elegant side dish or main course, but it will only taste as good as the ingredients you use in it. Remember to taste the vegetable stock and adjust seasonings to your liking before starting the risotto. Your final dish will get most of its flavor from the liquid it is simmered in.
So If you’ve never tried making your own red wine risotto before, this is your time. You see how easy it really is and how impressive for all your guests. And that goat cheese, and the candied walnuts you guys, this red wine risotto is as dreamy as they get.
Red Wine Risotto Recipe with Goat Cheese & Candied Walnuts
- 2 c arborio rice
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 c red wine
- 1 c candied walnuts
- 1/4 c free basil
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 6 c vegetable stock hot
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and add the onion with a pinch of sea salt. Saute on low heat until translucent.
- Add the arborio rice to the pan and str well to coat in the butter and onion. Let it toast gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the red wine to the rice and stir well. Simmer on low flame until almost all the wine has been absorbed by the rice.
- Start adding paddle full of the hot vegetable stock, just enough to cover the rice grains and maintain a gentle simmer.
- Repeat the process until the rice is cooked al dente. remove from flame and add half a ladle of hot stock. Stir well to combine and add 1 tablespoon of butter on top.
- Cover with a lid and let the risotto sit for a few minutes for the butter to melt in from the steam.
- Remove the lid and stir the red wine risotto for the butter to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Transfer to serving plates and divide the goat cheese on top. Sprinkle with the candies walnuts and a good drizzle of the honey. Garnish with the fresh basil and serve !