Easy coconut macaroons that are chewy, flourless, dairy and gluten free, made without any condensed milk. Just coconut, egg whites, sugar and vanilla!
Legend has it that the macaroons originated sometime in the 8th or 9th century in Venice, Italy. From there they made their way to France in 1533 with Catherine de Medici’s pastry chef.
Melt your favorite chocolate bar in a double boiler, whisk in a little butter and turn these into some chocolate dipped coconut macaroons in no time. Or maybe you prefer a chocolate drizzle.
I like mine chewy inside but with a little golden crunch on the outside, so I toasted the coconut first. If you don’t care about that, feel free to skip the toasting step.
If you are after FLUFFY, then make sure to FOLD the coconut into the egg whites. No over-mixing allowed.
Where to store them ?
Store in an airtight container at room temperature after they have cooled off completely. Since there is no flour and no leavening agents involved, these cookies are perfect for Passover as well.
Easy Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- 4 cups shredded coconut (sweetened)
- 1/2 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites (organic)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350” F
- Place the coconut on a baking sheet and spread it evenly. Toast it in the preheated oven for a few minutes taking good care not to burn it. About 3 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of your mixer add the egg whites, vanilla, sugar and sea salt. Using the whisk attachment make sure to whisk until frothy and everything is combined well.
- Add the toasted coconut to the frothy egg whites and using a spatula FOLD until combined. Do not overmix.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- At this point you can use a spoon or your hands to form the macaroons into 24 golf ball size balls. You can also use a pastry bag with a wide cake decorating tip if you prefer a little more design to your macaroons.
- Place them on the parchment lined baking sheet an inch apart from each other.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden to your liking. Check after 15 minutes then give it a few more if you like them darker.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- At this point you can store in an airtight container or dip them in some chocolate.
You’ll Also Love: