Seasonal Wild Rice Add Ins to Try:
Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf
- 1.5 cup wild rice mix ( brown & black rice)
- 1.2 yellow onion - diced
- 1 bell pepper - diced
- 1 carrot - grated
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries ( i love the orange flavored)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries - for garnish
- 1/3 cup vegan white wine
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock or water
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig sage
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt - to your taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs - chopped
- Heat up a large deep skillet or pot over medium low flame. Add the olive oil ( or a splash of water ) and the chopped onion. Sautee with a pinch of sea salt until translucent.
- Stir in the grated carrot, thyme, oregano, sage, rosemary, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Add the wild rice mix and mix well to combine. Allow it to toast together with the aromatics for a couple of minute.
- Add in the chopped bell pepper and 1 cup of the cranberries. Pour in the vegetable stock or water, stir and taste for seasonings. Add more sea salt to your taste.
- Bring the pilaf to a simmer, cover with a tight lid and cook on low flame for 50 minutes.
- Turn off the flame but do not remove the lid. Allow the rice to sit covered for 10 to 15 minutes and continue cooking in its own steam.
- Discard the bay leaves and the woody sprigs from the herbs. Use a fork and gently fluff up the rice.
- Serve warm or cold garnished with the remaining cranberries and fresh herbs.