A summery lemon artichoke risotto or Risotto ai Carciofi, with bright notes of zesty lemon, creamy parmesan, perfumed thyme and fresh basil.
Artichoke Lemon Risotto Recipe
- 1.5 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
- 6 cups vegetable stock -warm
- 1 batch marinated artichoke hearts (about a dozen)
- 1/2 cup onion or leeks - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 organic lemon -j uiced and zested
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano or mascarpone cheese - optional
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme and basil leaves
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare the marinated artichoke hearts according to this recipe.
- Heat up the vegetable stock and season to your taste with the sea salt.
- In a large skillet over medium low flame melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and one of olive oil. Add the onion or leeks and sautéed together until translucent.
- Stir in the risotto rice and toss to coat in the oils. Toast for a minute or so then hit it with the white wine.
- Once the wine has been almost fully absorbed start adding in the stock a ladleful at a time while maintaining a constant gentle simmer. Make sure to stir well every time you add more stock and never let the rice dry out completely before adding more liquid.
- The risotto is done in about 30 minutes, once the grains are al dente, they still have a little bite to them and not mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pureed artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter.
- Add a little more warm stock, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice then stir again and cover with a lid and allow to sit for 3 minutes. If needed you can add a little more stock just before serving to help loosen it a little more.
- Divide between 4 plates and serve with the reserved artichoke hearts on top, lemon zest, a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper and the fresh thyme and basil.