A summery lemon artichoke risotto or Risotto ai Carciofi, with bright notes of zesty lemon, creamy parmesan, perfumed thyme and fresh basil.
Artichoke Lemon Risotto
Artichoke Lemon Risotto Recipe
- 1.5 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
- 6 cups vegetable stock -warm
- 1 batch marinated artichoke hearts (about a dozen)
- 1/2 cup onion or leeks - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 organic lemon -j uiced and zested
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano or mascarpone cheese - optional
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme and basil leaves
- 1 pinch sea salt + more to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare the marinated artichoke hearts according to this recipe. Puree half of them in the food processor and reserve the rest.
- Heat up the vegetable stock and season to your taste with the sea salt.
- In a large skillet over medium low flame melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and one of olive oil. Add the onion or leeks and sautéed together until translucent.
- Stir in the risotto rice and toss to coat in the oils. Toast for a minute or so then hit it with the white wine.
- Once the wine has been almost fully absorbed start adding in the stock a ladleful at a time while maintaining a constant gentle simmer. Make sure to stir well every time you add more stock and never let the rice dry out completely before adding more liquid.
- The risotto is done in about 30 minutes, once the grains are al dente, they still have a little bite to them and not mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pureed artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter.
- Add a little more warm stock, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice then stir again and cover with a lid and allow to sit for 3 minutes. If needed you can add a little more stock just before serving to help loosen it a little more.
- Divide between 4 plates and serve with the reserved artichoke hearts on top, lemon zest, a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper and the fresh thyme and basil.
- There’s already lots of lemon flavor from the artichoke marinade, so make you sure to taste as you go and only add more lemon juice at the end If you want it extra lemony.