A quick guide on how to make basil oil at home. A simple recipe you can whip up in your blender or food processor in less than 5 minutes, and lasts for many days in the refrigerator.
Just like making pesto but without any nuts. No need to blanch the leaves either.
All you need is fragrant fresh basil, a good quality extra virgin olive oil and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice for a little zest.
Perfect for dipping, to use as a salad dressing, drizzled over tomatoes and mozzarella di bufala, toss with pasta or stir into soups.
You could strain it or not, I prefer the rustic consistency myself. Plus If you make it in a blender it will come out very smooth anyway.
Known for its health benefits, the ability to treat indigestion and nausea, I say drizzle it over everything!
Basil Oil Recipe
- 3 oz fresh lemon basil leaves (about 2 cups)
- 1 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tso sea salt flakes
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 lemon- juiced (optional)
- Add the basil leaves, sea salt and olive oil to a blender and process until smooth. Stir in the red pepper flakes and lemon juice.
- Strain through a fine strainer for an extra smooth consistency If desired, but this is totally optional.
- Drizzle over sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Can be store in the refrigerator for a few days, and remember to bring to room temperature for about half hour before serving.