Basil Oil Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Quick and easy basil oil recipe. A simple homemade olive oil sauce you can whip up in your blender or food processor in less than 5 minutes, and lasts for many days in the refrigerator.
Just like making pesto sauce but without any nuts. No need to blanch the leaves either. All you need is fragrant fresh basil, a good quality extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten things up.
Perfect for dipping some focaccia or crusty Italian bread, to use as a salad dressing, drizzled over tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, toss with pasta or stir into soups.
You could strain it if you wanted to, I prefer the rustic consistency myself. Plus If you make it in a blender it will come out very smooth anyway.
Best used right away, if need be it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days but the color will darken and become brownish green. Alternatively it can be frozen in ice cube trays.
Known for its many health benefits, the ability to treat indigestion and nausea, I say drizzle it over everything! It’s vegan, gluten free and screams Summer!
Basil Oil Recipe
- 3 oz fresh lemon basil leaves (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 lemon juiced (optional)
- Add the basil leaves, sea salt and olive oil to a blender and process until smooth. Stir in the red pepper flakes and lemon juice.
- Strain through a fine strainer for an extra smooth consistency If desired, but this is totally optional.
- Drizzle over sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Can be store in the refrigerator for a few days, and remember to bring to room temperature for about half hour before serving.
- Storage - best used right away, if need be it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days but the color will darken and become brownish green. Alternatively it can be frozen in ice cube trays.
Still Hungry ?
Thank you for sharing! It took me few minutes and it was delicious!