A vegan tomato basil salad recipe with homemade chive dressing, perfect for lunch, dinner or a summer barbecue.
I’ve got yet another non-recipe recipe for you today! Because perfect, exquisite summer heirloom tomatoes and purple basil need to show off in all their splendor. I just give them a stage 😉
Clearly my obsession with eating, growing, and buying them knows no boundaries.
- 2 lb heirloom tomatoes (mixed sizes and colors)
- 5 sprigs sweet or Genoese basil
- 5 sprigs purple basil
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 bunch chives snipped
- 5 chives for garnish roughly chopped
- chive blossoms for garnish
- basil blossoms for garnish
In a small jar add the olive oil, lemon juice , snipped chives and sea salt. Shake together until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and lemon juice until happy. You can also process the vinaigrette in a blender for a smooth texture.
- Cut the heirloom tomatoes into wedges and rounds and arrange in a medium serving bowl. Sprinkle with the sliced shallot and drizzle with the chive vinaigrette all over.
Garnish with the different colors of heirloom basil leaves and blossoms.
- Toss to coat just before serving.