Goddess Berry Pizza with Whipped Ricotta, Mascarpone and Blackberry Blueberry Sauce!
| Berry Pizza food style by Florentina | food photography by MihaMatei.com |
This to die for cheesecake like berry pizza is for you!
Because you’ve been good and deserve the best treats.
Have you ever had a berry pizza before ? If you did, then you know why I’m so excited about it, and if you didn’t then i’ll just tell you that it is like a lovely piece of cheesecake. Imagine that insanity !
I literally had a pizza party yesterday, my kitchen was covered in flour and so was my hair. Totally worth it if you ask me. Especially after Google recognized my pizza making skills, remember that Burrata Pizza and rustic pizza dough ? That’s how it all started.
So we had to celebrate with more pizza making yesterday, and the first one to come out of that oven was this insane berry pizza.
Now, you can make this with blackberries or blueberries or even raspberries. I went for the blackberries and blueberries because they look the best at the market, plus I just love them together.
Basically I made a berry sauce on the stove top that I allowed to chill before using it as a pizza sauce for this really amazing dessert pizza.
However, If you don’t feel like making the sauce, you can use a nice organic blackberry jelly instead. Then I top that with some whipped ricotta mascarpone vanilla mixture and a few berries, sprinkled with fresh basil from the garden and voila! I can’t even tell you..
I bet it would be amazing with a nice thick strawberry sauce on the bottom and fresh strawberries on top.
Note to self: next berry pizza will be made with strawberries.
Drooling over that one already, excuse me.
I know that a berry pizza might sound strange at first, especially if you’ve never had it before. But I assure you this is such delicacy, and so easy to make.
I would suggest making small thin berry pizza pies, that way you don’t necessarily even have to cut them. And if you do, make sure to wait until they have cooled off for the cheese to set and use your kitchen sheers to cut it. So easy!
Very important to make sure and cook the pizza dough for a few minutes before adding the sauce and the cheese on top.
That is the secret to my crispy burrata pizza, and that is the secret to a thin crust bottom for this berry pizza. That and a hot pizza stone.
If you insist on little fiery kisses on that creamy cheesy berry pizza, transfer it to the broiler for about 20 seconds or so, but keep a close eye on it because it can burn quickly and then what ?! You’ll be crying over the berry pizza like a baby, I’m speaking from experience kids 😉
P.S Keep this berry pizza recipe on hand for when Mother’s Day rolls around, after all it is a Goddess pizza, and isn’t that what mom’s really are ..? ! ~ Florentina
- 1 batch this rustic pizza dough
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp wild honey
- zest from 1 lemon
- 6 sprigs basil
- 12 oz berries (blackberries raspberries or blueberries)
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c blackberries
- 1 c blueberries
- 1/2 lemon juiced + more to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey + more to taste
- Prepare the berry sauce in advance. Add the blackberries, blueberries, lemon juice, vanilla extract and honey to a small sauce pan on low flame. Cover with a lid and cook together for a few minutes until the blueberries burst. Remove from flame and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use. Adjust sweetness to taste with more honey if desired.
- Make a batch of rustic pizza dough and divide into 8 small pies.
- Add the mascarpone, ricotta, vanilla extract, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of the honey to a small food processor and blend together until smooth and fluffy. Keep cool until ready to eat.
- Preheat your oven with a pizza stone inside to the highest temperature it will go, for at least 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour on your kitchen counter and form your pizza pies as suggested in the rustic pizza dough recipe.
- Using a fork gently poke each pizza before you transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 3 minutes.
- Working quickly and with care, open the oven and remove the pizza crust. Spread a thin layer of the blackberry blueberry sauce the bottom, leaving about 3/4 inch from the edges.
- Spoon the ricotta mascarpone mixture over the top in a thin layer and sprinkle with some of the berries. Transfer back to the oven carefully. Close the oven door and bake the berry pizza an additional 6 minutes or so until the crust is golden brown on the edges.
- At this point if you would like to get a little fire kiss on top of your ricotta cheese and berries, just transfer the pie under the broiler for about 25 seconds, making sure not to burn it.
- Repeat the process with the remaining of your pies and allow them to cool for a few minutes for the cheese to settle before slicing.
- Optional: Drizzle with some honey on top before serving and garnish with the fresh basil leaves.
#2 If you dot feel like making the berry sauce you can substitute with a nice blackberry jam instead.