Italian crispy thin crust ricotta spinach pizza with fontina and roasted garlic. The best homemade white spinach pizza Bianca!
This white ricotta spinach pizza with sweet roasted garlic cloves is a nice way to say good-by to summer.
Naturally I wanted to close our little summer pizza series with one of my favorite healthy flavor combinations: ricotta + spinach!
If you like white pizza, then this one is for you!
Not that I mind diving into the soups and stews season at all, but first things first 😉
Now you know ricotta spinach anything is a winner in my book, what a lovely pair, wouldn’t you agree ? Add some fontina to the mix and you got yourself some real magic happening.
Let’s not forget about that garlic: you roast it straight in the skillet on low flame until golden and sweet. Then you add the spinach and let it wilt for just a minute. I actually eat that straight out of the pan like that for breakfast.
You should definitely cook the spinach before putting it on pizza, it just calls for that kind of texture.
This is how you do it:
- Start by making the rustic pizza dough , Shocker huh? 😉
- Very important: use a pizza stone (<–amazon) preheated with your oven! I know I said it like 15 times before, and I’ll continue saying it till the day I die. Unless you have a pizza oven, go get yourself a cheap pizza stone today. You will thank me later, I know this.
Ricotta spinach and garlic on a thin crisp crust, I mean what else is there ..? A good movie and a chilled bottle of white vino, hashtag #LifeMade !
Oh, you see those little fire kisses on top ? So cute, I know! You can get those by putting the pizza under the broiler flames for about 30 seconds at the end. Of course If you have your own pizza oven you are a boss and the broiler step won’t be necessary.
Hungry for more ?
- Crispy Burrata Pizza
- Breakfast Egg Pizza with Prosciutto
- Ultimate Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Grilled Spinach Artichoke Pizza Bianca
- Chicken Calzone
- Puff Pastry Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes & Burrata
- Easy Pizza Margherita
- Spinach Artichoke Pizza Bianca
Not in the mood for spinach ? Just replace it with some cooked Italian sausage, or with a few anchovies for a Pizza Bianca alla Romana.
Italian crispy thin crust Pizza Bianca with ricotta, healthy spinach and roasted garlic.
- 1 batch rustic pizza dough
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 lb fontina cheese shredded
- 1/4 c parmigiano reggianno grated
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb garlic spinach
- 20 cloves garlic
- pinch of sea salt
- black pepper to taste freshly cracked
- Make a batch of the rustic pizza dough.
- Smash the garlic cloves with the side of a chef’s knife and peel.
- In a large skillet add a lug of olive oil and roast the garlic cloves on medium low flame until golden. Add the spinach with a pinch of sea salt and using a pair of tongues toss to coat in the oil and roasted garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes until wilted and remove from heat. Makes her not to overcook it.
- Add the ricotta and fontina cheese to the bowl of a food processor together with a lug of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Process until combined and set aside.
- Preheat your oven with a pizza stone in it to 500”F or as high as it will go.
- Form the pizza pies as instructed in the rustic pizza dough recipe and brush each one with a thin layer of olive oil on top. Leave about 1/2 inch at the edges. Sprinkle with some of the parmigiana region cheese on top and bake in the preheated oven on the pizza stone for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Quickly and carefully spoon some of the ricotta fontina mixture over the top of the pizza pie and bake an additional 5 minutes to your desired doneness level.
- Once the pizza comes out of the oven you want to top it with the sautéed spinach and some of the roasted garlic cloves. Shave some parmigiana reggianno over the top and serve with freshly cracked black pepper.