An easy step by step tutorial on how to freeze pizza dough at home.
So you are wondering: can you freeze pizza dough ? Absolutely!
And trust me when I tell you that the best frozen pizza dough to use is the one you make at home. Preferably that rustic Italian pizza dough recipe we talked about way back when, which still is the best pizza dough ever! Why would you go for store bought packaged pizza dough when you can have one like this ?!
So today we are going to learn how to freeze pizza dough!
Because usually when you make pizza dough you don’t just make enough for one or two pizzas, right ? It takes a little time to make the dough, let it proof, assemble your pizza creations, it is a project. So why not make a double batch and freeze it for later ?
The great thing about freezing pizza dough is that you don’t event have to let it proof after you make it. Honestly guys, no proofing required at all.
You can freeze it right away and then maybe next week when you feel like having a nice home made pizza on a whim, you just thaw it out on your kitchen counter for a couple of hours while you walk the dogs. Then you come home and bake the best pizza of your life.
Now, I’m only talking about this because this is how i freeze pizza dough, and I personally see no point in the complicated procedures most recipes advise.
Last summer we went to Sicily Italy If you remember, and my mission there was to learn everything I could to perfect my pizza dough and homemade pizza making skills. I am the self proclaimed queen of the best pizza dough, so you should trust me, at least when it comes to pizza ! 😉
This step isn’t 100% necessary, but when you freeze pizza dough, the best and proper way to actually store it for a while is nicely vacuum sealed.
I got the smallest hand held vacuum sealer just to help me freeze pizza dough the best way I can. You don’t need anything fancier than that, it really does the job + really easy to store and handle!
Usually I freeze 4 pizza dough balls in each bag because that’s how many I usually make for pizza night, but If you normally just make one or two, I would suggest freezing 2 pizza dough balls in each bag.
How easy does that sound kids ? You got this !
How To Freeze Pizza Dough Tutorial
- Make a double batch of this rustic pizza dough according to the recipe instructions.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces and with oiled hands form them into dough balls.
- Place the dough balls on a plastic cutting board without touching each other and place in the freezer for a couple of hours until firm.
- Remove the frozen dough balls from the freezer and individually wrap them in plastic wrap.
- Place the individually wrapped frozen dough balls in a vacuum seal bag and vacuum seal it. If you don’t have one of these vacuum sealers, just store them in small freezer bags and back in the freezer.
- When in the mood for a pizza, remove as many pizza dough balls from the freezer and place them on the counter to thaw out for a couple of hours. Make sure to remove them from the vacuum sealed bag and just let them rest on the counter wrapped in the plastic wrap. They will be proofing at the same time.
As I promised you, freezing pizza dough at home is super easy and definitely makes pizza night a breeze, and a last minute home pizza party is always a realistic option !
Pizza Recipes You’ll Love: