Easy tomato onion salad recipe Mediterranean style with lots of fresh oregano, chives, capers and feta cheese, dressed in a lovely olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing!
I’m having a major crush on all the heirloom tomatoes this summer, today I’m particularly fond of the red ones. They just scream hot summer days, deliciousness and freshness!
Ok, do we really need a post on how to make a simple tomato salad ?
Uhmm… well.. yes of course, what kind of question is that ..?
Because truth is you can make this simple thing about 20 different ways. Here are some idea:
- Italian style: dressed with basil pesto and fresh mozzarella.
- Heirloom tomatoes, thyme and goat cheese <–Gotta try that!
- Drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction.
- Mixed with cucumbers and scallions to end up with this lovely thing.
- Latin style with cilantro, chili and lime.
I just love adding those adorable chive blossoms on top, it compliments the final dish with subtle sweet onion flavors, and just makes it look pretty. We already agreed that pretty food taste better, right ? So, If you have any growing in the garden, sprinkle them all over the place.
This Tomato Onion Salad Pairs Well With:
- Chimichurri Steak
- this Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Perfect Grilled Chicken
- Crispy Chicken Wings
- Peppercorn Steak
- Onions have amazing cancer fighting properties. They are also antiviral, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. You can ask Google if you want 😉
- Tomatoes taste amazing and are a rich source of lycopene. They are also loaded with vitamins and lutein which helps with healthy vision. Who does’t wanna see well, right ?
Tomato Onion Salad Recipe
- 2 lb red heirloom tomatoes
- 1 small purple onion
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c chives chopped
- 1/4 c fresh dill roughly chopped + more to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 4 tbsp capers
- chive blossoms for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Fleur de Sel sea salt + more to taste
- Using a very sharp knife slice the tomatoes into small wedges and add them to a serving bowl with the capers.
- Slice the purple onion into thin strips or round and sprinkle on top of the tomatoes.
- Use your hands and rustically tear the feta cheese over the top of the tomato onion salad.
- Sprinkle with the fresh oregano, dill and chives.
- Drizzle the salad with the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Season with the Fleur the Sel sea salt, and just before serving give it a gently toss to coat.
- Garnish with the chive blossoms and serve promptly with a few extra flakes of Fleur de Sel on top to your taste.