Hands down the best vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe ever, easy, hearty and healthy made with wild mushrooms and arborio risotto rice Italian style. Cooked in a San Marzano tomato sauce, can be finished on the stove top, in the oven or even your crock pot.
You guys, I’m just here to talk about what is the best stuffed peppers recipe of all time! I swear on my saffron, they are irresistible!
I totally realize the thermometer shows like 95”F outside, but seriously, who doesn’t love good comfort food regardless of the weather ? And is there anything out there that even comes close to a home cooked meal like this? Me thinks not!
What makes this the Best Stuffed Peppers ?
- the different color bell peppers are loaded with sweet flavors and nutrition.
- can be made 100% plant based, vegan, stuffed with flavorful wild mushrooms. instead of the more traditional ground chicken, beef, sausage or pork filling I used to make for the BatMan before.
- they are cooked in the tastiest broth/ sauce, made with San Marzano tomatoes and organic vegetable stock. The best way to cook stuffed peppers truly is in all that flavorful tomato sauce.
- they are super easy to make, gluten free and can be prepared a couple of days in advance.
- a pot of these peppers will feed and satisfy the hunger of 7 or 8 adults. Depending on how many you can really fit in your pot of course. You have a big dutch oven right ?
- swap the risotto rice for quinoa, couscous, barley or quick cook brown rice.
I could try and describe more in depth the magical combination of flavors going on in these peppers, but honestly i wouldn’t do it any justice. You’ll just have to make them yourself!
This is the best and only vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe you need! Make it your own!
If you like lots of sauce in your bowl, just add more liquid and cook this recipe more like a tomato stuffed pepper soup.
What to serve with stuffed peppers?
- a nice drizzle of organic sour cream or creamy greek yogurt.
- lots of Italian ciabatta or homemade crusty bread. Bread is everything!
- mushroom bruschetta!
Best Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 7-8 medium size bell peppers mixed colors
- 3/4 cup risotto rice
- 1 lb wild mushrooms
- 1 medium onion -diced
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sprigs thyme -leaves only
- 8 sprigs thyme -whole
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- black pepper -to taste
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 28 oz canned San Marzano tomatoes -whole in tomato puree
- 1/2 qt vegetable stock -seasoned to taste
- 3 leaves bay
- 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt (optional)
- Optional: thyme blossoms for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375" F.
- Rinse the peppers and cut the tops and empty the seeds and membrane. Reserve the clean tops also, you’ll need to place them back on top after you fill the peppers.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add a layer with juices to the bottom of a large enameled cast iron pan.
- In a large saute pan heat up the olive oil and saute the onion with a pinch of sea salt until softened and translucent. Add the rice, stir and let cook together for about 5 min. Mix in the mushrooms ( or ground chicken If using meat) and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the thyme leaves, parsley, 1 tsp sea salt, pepper and paprika and mix well together. Cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to soften a bit and remove from heat.
- Stuff each pepper with the rice mixture ¾ of the way up (very important not to over stuff them). Put the tops back on, just to make sure the stuffing will stay inside..
- Arrange the peppers in the heavy bottom sauce pan on top of the tomato layer. Pour in the stock and the remaining crushed tomatoes making sure it comes all the way up the sides of the peppers.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs and transfer the pot to the preheated 375 degrees oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the lid and allow the peppers to cook uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot of stuffed peppers from the oven very carefully and allow it to sit covered for 10 min before serving.
- Serve with a drizzle of sour cream and garnished with fresh parsley and thyme.
Crock Pot / Slow Cooker Method
- Follow the recipe above and add the peppers to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 -8 hours or until tender and the rice is cooked through.
2. If you happen to have any chicken and rice mixture leftover, just spoon it in the pot around the peppers to cook together.