Step into fall with this delicious Roasted Delicata Squash recipe drizzled with your favorite sauce. Sweet flavor and buttery flesh just like a butternut but with thin edible skins, so less prep work and no peeling required.
Roasted Delicata Squash
Going by the cool names cucurbita pepo, bohemian squash and sweet potato squash, this small squash variety is so easy to work with and oh so delicious simply roasted with a few spices and a drizzle of maple syrup for those perfectly caramelized edges.
It’s a great last minute thing to throw in the oven on a weekday, but also makes a perfect addition to the Thanksgiving menu alongside our favorites: vegetarian stuffing, dairy free mac and cheese and roasted butternut squash soup.
You must have caught a glimpse of these pretty pinstriped beauties on your last trip to the market and perhaps wasn’t sure what you’d do with them and just walked on by. But next time be sure to grab some, because these aren’t only some of the easiest squashes to work with due to their small size, but they also have a delicately perfume flavor and buttery yellow flesh reminiscent of butternut squash. So if you love butternut you’ll also love the delicata!
How to Cook Delicata Squash
- Rinse and slice the squash into 3/4 inch to 1 inch slices. This method will yield beautiful round flower shapes. Alternatively you can slice it lengthwise and end end up with half moons.
- Remove and discard the seeds.
- Season with the spices and olive oil.
- Roast in a preheated oven @425″F for 22 minutes.
Pictured here you have it drizzled with a chive and pepita pesto which really compliments its caramelized roasted flavors and can be served as an appetizer. To make a meal of things pile it up high over this butternut squash mac and cheese, brown rice pilaf and some roasted carrots. It’s also nice alongside this festive cranberry wild rice topped with brown butter fried sage like i did in this butternut squash farroto. Exquisite served alongside a classic favorite of mine: crispy sage potatoes with chanterelle mushrooms!
Roasted Delicata SquashPrint Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 425”F.
- Rinse and pat dry the squashes.
- Placethe squash on a stable cutting board and carefully slice it into 3/4 inch to 1 inch slices. Discard the seeds from the center of each slice.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the olive with the maple syrup, onion powder, paprika, salt and chili flakes.
- Add the sliced squash to the bowl with the spices and toss to coat well all over. Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet without touching each other.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 22 minutes until golden brown around the edges.(You can choose to flip the squash half way through but i didn’t and it turned out perfect).
- Serve hot drizzled with a nice sauce like the chive pesto, chimichurri, basil pesto, or the fried sage butter.
More Roasted Vegetables: