This rainy gloomy day calls exactly for a pot of this immunity celery arugula soup . Not only because it’s winter and cold and yucky out there, but also because it is exactly what I had in my refrigerator drawer looking for a purpose. A celery root some celery ribs, and some baby arugula. It’s a sign I tell ya, without a doubt!
Because really, the possibility of me getting in my car for a grocery store trip today was absolutely non-existent ! I barely found the motivation to take Peluci out and comfort him in the rain, while he took care of his business affairs 😉 And that’s because I have absolutely no pet cleaning supplies at the shack nowadays. What ..? My kids are grown and responsible.
Back to this celery arugula soup : it really is so delicious, the celery root is where it’s at! Loaded with all the goodies your body might need at this time of year, plus I added a couple handfuls of arugula that enhanced the nutritional profile even more. And that peppery arugula taste to die for, yum!
But in all honesty, I initially just wanted to add the arugula in there for some pretty color. A deeper shade of green to make this celery soup look more alive ! And then it became more of an arugula soup actually. It really works well together. Just wait till you sprinkle some toasted panko bread crumbs over the top of this arugula soup ,and a few flakes of coarse sea salt. Now it’s complete ! This arugula soup is all that baby !
I was going to garnish with some chives but the rain was coming down really hard. And I definitely wasn’t going to run in the garden in such conditions. So I used some lovely dill from the jar I have on my window sill; it was a wonderful fresh touch!
Of course, this nutrition packed arugula soup got filed away and put on rotation with my chard leek immunity soup recipe ! I just love green soup !
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small celery root organic
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 small carrot diced
- 1 medium potato diced
- 2 1/2 c baby arugula organic
- 5 c water
- 2 bay leaved
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- creme fresh for garnish
- coarse sea salt for garnish
- 1/2 tbsp salted butter organic
- 1/2 c panko bread crumbs
- In a heavy bottom stock pot heat up the olive oil and sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent. Add the carrot, celery root and stalks and sauté everything together until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the potato and bay leaves, cover with the water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook on low flame until the potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the soup from heat, discard the bay leaf, and add the arugula. Stir until wilted.
- Using a hand held blender puree the soup until smooth. Adjust seasonings to your taste with the sea salt.
- In a small skillet heat up the butter and add the panko bread crumbs. Stir and toast together on small flame until golden.
- Ladle the celery soup into bowls and serve with a dollop of creme fresh, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a good sprinkling of the crispy bread crumbs. Garnish with a few flakes of volcanic sea salt or any kind of coarse sea salt flakes.