A California style orange avocado salad recipe with a creamy scallion lime dressing drizzle !
Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend, we had the loveliest weather in Southern California, not too cold and not too hot, just perfect for hitting the farmers market on Sunday morning with a coffee to go in search for the perfect produce for my avocado salad recipe I’ve been dreaming about. The sight of fresh colorful produce and fresh cut flowers is like a beautiful painting to be hung on the wall.
There was an abundance of a mixed variety of organic oranges: cara cara, blood oranges and navels, I couldn’t decide on just one so I grabbed a few to make the loveliest orange avocado salad recipe. I grabbed 2 bunches of the freshest cilantro picked that morning, for a creamy lime dressing to drizzle over the top.
You guys know how much i love California, and the abundance of fresh and organic produce variety is one of the main reasons why. Strawberries, chard, kale, carrots , cauliflower, cabbage, you name it, we got it so beautifully just showing off on every little farmers market table.
Personally I just love getting my produce from my local farmers, having direct contact with the person who grew, picked, watered the things I’m about to eat. There’s some kind of undeniable magic in that !
Here’s a little Monday trivia for you : Did you know that California grows nearly half of the vegetables, fruits and nuts grown in the United States ? To be exact 100% of the United State’s supply of almonds is grown in California. So it makes sense that California Farming is one of the largest employers in our state and it generates over $100 Billion in annual economic activity for our state.
As we all know, we have had a very serious drought problem in California for the past years. California’s farming and ranching community is highly aware of the need to make the most of our natural resources and are committed to using water efficiently and responsibly. You can learn more about California farming and ranching by checking out cultivatecalifornia.com
It is always difficult for me to choose from such beautiful produce, I mean i really wanted to get one of each of everything and throw them all in a huge eclectic salad, imagine that ! But I settled on a variety of oranges because you know i am so fond of them, and some creamy avocado for a seasonal orange avocado salad that is a total winner with grown ups and kids alike.
I picked up two scallions and a bunch of fresh cilantro to buzz up a creamy lime dressing to add that je ne sais quois to my meal. I’d have to say i never would have thought a vegan salad would be so perfectly delicious but it is. However feel free to add some creamy goat cheese on top if you desire, it would make for the perfect addition.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
- 4 oranges mixed variety
- 2 California avocados
- 1 small bunch cilantro leafy tops only
- 2 scallions white and pale green parts only
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Rinse the oranges and avocados well. Using a sharp knife peel the oranges and slice them into thin slices. Arrange them on a platter.
- Cut the avocado crosswise and remove the pit. Cut a thin slice off of the bottom of each half. Make a slit into the side of each avocado half and gently peel off the skin. Slice the avocado crosswise into thin slices.
- Arrange the avocado slices between the orange slices and set aside.
- Transfer the cilantro leafy tops to the bowl of a food processor. Add the lime juice, olive oil ad scallions and process until smooth. Season to taste with the sea salt.
- Pour the scallion cilantro dressing over the oranges and avocado slices and serve with a sprinkling of the sliced scallion, freshly cracked black pepper on top and more dressing on the side. Garnish with extra cilantro leaves and enjoy !
You’ll Also Love: