A healthy Italian potato salad recipe, made with colorful red and purple heirloom potatoes, fresh herbs and spring green peas, then tossed in a lovely, light and zesty homemade Italian style olive oil dressing.
Easy peasy, without mayo and dairy free!
Just smooth extra virgin olive oil, lost of freshly squeezed lemon juice or a splash of your favorite vinegar, fragrant basil, dill, oregano, thyme and a few cherry tomatoes.
Who knew, something so simple could be so delicious ?!
The mixed colored potatoes here add not only a visual pop, but also subtle variation in taste. Together with the green peas they make a marriage to be envied.
Feel free to give it your own spin with green beans instead of peas, chopped fresh rosemary, capers, olives and some marinated artichoke hearts.
You’ll notice the recipe calls for fresh peas that are steamed for a few minutes, to preserve as many nutrients as possible. If you can’t find fresh peas at the market, go for frozen green peas that you run under some warm water for a minute to defrost.
To make a meal of things, feel free to add some toasted pine nuts, fresh radishes sliced paper thin, then sprinkle the entire salad with a handful of green pea shoots or baby arugula. I’ll usually go for whatever is pretty and in season.
Though I feel this potato salad is best served warm to balance the freshness of tomatoes and the crunch from the radishes, it really is just as lovely served chilled. Makes a great side dish for a 4th of July or Labour Day outdoor party and great leftovers for lunches to go too.
A healthy Italian style potato salad made with a mix of red and purple heirloom potatoes, fresh herbs and spring green peas, then tossed in a lovely light and zesty vinaigrette.
- 2 lb colored new potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup fresh green peas -steamed
- 1/4 cup green pea shoots -roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs parsley, dill, chives, oregano, rosemary, thyme
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 1/2 lemon -juiced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 cup yellow grape tomatoes -halved
- 1 radish (optional)
- Rinse and cut the potatoes into rustic thick slices or wedges. Cover them with cold water and bring to a boil. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and simmer away until tender but still al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to dry in their own steam for a few minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, steam the green peas for 3 to 4 minutes until al dente.
In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, most of the herbs (reserve some for garnish) and season to taste with sea salt. Adjust seasonings until happy.
Add the cooked potatoes and green peas to the bowl with the dressing. Gently toss to coat. Allow the potatoes to sit in the dressing for about 10 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and serve sprinkled with the remaining herbs, pea shoots, and scallions.
Sprinkle with sliced grape tomatoes, radish or cucumber slices before serving.