A healthy potato salad recipe, Italian style, made with colorful heirloom potatoes, herbs and spring green peas, then tossed in a light lovely vinaigrette.
This healthy potato salad recipe is an ode to my little garden. It is also a gift to my body, filled with nutrition and bursts of flavor. Oh, the simple things!
Who knew, something so simple could be so outstanding?! The different colored potatoes here add not only a visual pop but also subtle variation in taste. Together with the green peas they make a marriage to be envied.
This healthy potato salad recipe is as much about the peas and fresh herbs as it is about those beautiful potatoes.
You don’t need me to tell you how incredibly good for you green peas and fresh herbs are, right? How about that amazing smell left behind on your hands and fingers after chopping a mixed bouquet of thyme, chives and dill ? That’s perfection, just like this salad!
On to the salad dressing: I keep it simple!
Great extra virgin olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice, whisked together with lots of herbs and just a pinch of great sea salt. I want this dressing to be fresh and tangy, and really embrace the sweetness of both the potatoes and the green peas.
You’ll notice the recipe calls for fresh peas that are steamed for a few minutes, to preserve as many nutrients as possible. If you can’t find fresh peas at the market, go for frozen green peas that you run under some warm water to defrost. Don’t even let the canned peas idea cross your mind. This is a healthy potato salad recipe, we are going to keep it that way.
The fresh herbs and dressing are more than enough to dress this healthy potato salad recipe with all the flavor it needs.
To make a meal of things, feel free to add some toasted pumpkin seeds, a handful of grape tomatoes and even radishes sliced paper thin. I sprinkled the entire salad with a handful of green pea shoots as well, tough many times I’ll go for pretty microgreens.
- 2 lb colored new potatoes
- 1 1/2 c fresh green peas steamed
- 1/4 c green pea shoots roughly chopped
- 1/2 c mixed fresh herbs parsley, dill, chives, thyme
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 c yellow grape tomatoes halved, optional
- 1 radish optional
- Rinse and cut the potatoes into rustic thick slices or wedges. Cover them with cold water and bring to a boil. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and simmer away until tender but still al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to dry in their own steam for a few minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, steam the green peas for 3 to 4 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, most of the herbs and season to taste with sea salt. Add the potatoes and green peas to the bowl with the dressing and gently toss to coat. Allow the potatoes to sit in the dressing for about 10 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and serve sprinkled with the remaining herbs, pea shoots, and scallions. Optional to sprinkle with some grape tomatoes and radish slices.
You’ll Also Love: