A healthy potato salad recipe Italian style, made with colorful red and purple heirloom potatoes, fresh herbs and spring green peas, then tossed in a lovely light and zesty olive oil vinaigrette.
Dairy free, no mayo and no yuckies! Just smooth extra virgin olive oil, lost of freshly squeezed lemon juice, basil, dill, thyme and cherry tomatoes.
Who knew, something so simple could be so outstanding?!
The different colored potatoes here add not only a visual pop but also subtle variation in taste. Together with the green peas they make a marriage to be envied.
Feel free to give it your own spin with fresh rosemary, capers, olives and marinated artichoke hearts.
You’ll notice the recipe calls for fresh peas that are steamed for a few minutes, to preserve as many nutrients as possible. If you can’t find fresh peas at the market, go for frozen green peas that you run under some warm water to defrost.
Don’t even let the canned peas idea cross your mind. This is a healthy potato salad and we are going to keep it that way.
To make a meal of things, feel free to add some toasted pine nuts or fresh radishes sliced paper thin, like I did. I also sprinkled the entire salad with a handful of green pea shoots as well, tough many times I’ll go for pretty microgreens.
A healthy potato salad recipe Italian style, made with colorful red and purple heirloom potatoes, fresh herbs and spring green peas, then tossed in a lovely light and zesty vinaigrette.
- 2 lb colored new potatoes
- 1 1/2 c fresh green peas steamed
- 1/4 c green pea shoots roughly chopped
- 1/2 c mixed fresh herbs parsley, dill, chives, thyme
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 c yellow grape tomatoes halved, optional
- 1 radish optional
- Rinse and cut the potatoes into rustic thick slices or wedges. Cover them with cold water and bring to a boil. Season with a good pinch of sea salt and simmer away until tender but still al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to dry in their own steam for a few minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, steam the green peas for 3 to 4 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, most of the herbs and season to taste with sea salt. Add the potatoes and green peas to the bowl with the dressing and gently toss to coat. Allow the potatoes to sit in the dressing for about 10 minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and serve sprinkled with the remaining herbs, pea shoots, and scallions. Optional to sprinkle with some grape tomatoes and radish slices.