Italian Green Minestrone di Verdure Recipe
- 1 onion - diced (small)
- 4 cloves garlic -sliced
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 stick celery -diced
- 2 cups green cabbage -shredded
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 qt low sodium vegetable stock + more as needed
- 1.5 cups golden potatoes -diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1.5 tsp sea salt + more to tatse
- 15 oz canned borlotti or cannellini beans - drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup baby arugula or spinach
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh basil ( leaves only)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon -juiced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese -grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch sea salt - to taste
- 4 inches Parmesan rind ( optional )
- Heat up a soup pot on medium flame with a lug of olive oil.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot and saute together with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme and peppercorns and toss to coat.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook another 5 to 10 minutes until wilted.
- Add the diced potatoes, Parmesan rind and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook together until the potatoes are cooked through, another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked beans and adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt.While the minestrone is cooking make the pesto.
- Add the basil, olive oil, garlic, nuts and half of the lemon juice to a food processor and puree until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste with sea salt and more lemon juice.
- Ladle the minestrone into bowls and serve with spoonfuls of the pesto on top.