Like a lasagna but quicker!
- add thin grilled zucchini slices
- a few leftover ricotta meatballs, browned Italian sausage, grilled chicken, green peas and pancetta – for the not yet vegetarian 😉
- add a layer of garlic spinach and sautéed mushrooms
- drizzle with basil pesto before serving, because why not ?!
Easy, vegetarian ricotta baked gnocchi pomodoro with homemade marinara sauce, tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella.
- 1.5 lb Gnocchi
- 2.5 cups marinara sauce
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic -grated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (mixed basil, chives, oregano + parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 1 pinch black pepper -freshly cracked
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese -sliced
- 3 heirloom tomatoes (mixed colors)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
Preheat your oven to 400”F
in a mixing bowl combine together the ricotta cheese, egg, garlic, lemon zest, fresh herbs and olive oil. Season with a pinch of sea salt and refrigerate until needed.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. (It should taste like sea water). Cook the gnocchi for a couple of minutes until they float to the top. Drain well and toss with 1 cup of marinara sauce.
Use a 10 inch round baking dish ( 2- 3 inches deep) and spoon 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom. Top with half of the gnocchi and spoon the herbed ricotta mixture on top.
Layer half of the mozzarella cheese on top and a few slices go heirloom tomatoes. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, black pepper and half of the basil leaves.
Add the remaining gnocchi and spoon 1/2 cup of sauce on top. Follow with the mozzarella and tomato slices.
Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and red pepper flakes, loosely cover wit aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, just until the cheese has melted.
Optional: transfer the baked gnocchi under the broiler uncovered, for a about 3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Allow to cool for a few minutes for the cheese to set. Serve with the remaining fresh basil and herbs on top.