Spinach Brown Rice Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Healthy spinach brown rice that is made with a raw spinach and kale sauce and a lovely exotic twist from mango and lemon.
A delicious, easy way to spruce up your plant based vegan brown rice dishes – Florentine style 😉
You cook the rice and dress it up with an Island style green Goddess sauce with exotic notes from mango and lemon, then sprinkle it freshly toasted pine nuts and edible flowers! Falalalalalalala
Perfect as a salad, a side dish or as a main meal in a veggie bowl form.
Here are a few of our favorite toppings:
pan seared tofu
grilled vegetables: peppers, tomatoes and onions
If you need more reasons to make this rice, just know that calorie for calorie spinach has more nutrients that most other foods on Planet Earth.
Let us know In the comments below If you make the recipe and remember to tag your photos with #CiaoFlorentina on Instagram.
Spinach Brown Rice
Healthy spinach brown rice that is made with a raw spinach and kale sauce and a lovely exotic twist from mango and lemon.Print Recipe
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2.5 cups baby spinach
- 1 leaf kale -large
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 yellow mango -small
- 2 scallions
- 1 clove garlic
- 3.75 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon -juiced & zested
- 1/4 cups pine nuts - for garnish (optional)
- Add the brown rice, water, bay leaves and a pinch of sea salt to medium stock pot. Bring to a simmer, cover with a tight lid, turn the flame down and simmer away for 45 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove the rice from flame and allow it to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooke rice to a large mixing bowl and using a fork fluff up the grains. Discard the bay leaves.
- Meanwhile add the spinach, kale and sliced mayo to a food processor or blender together with the scallions, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Process until smooth with a pesto-like texture. Season to taste with sea salt and more lemon juice if desired.
- Pour the spinach sauce on top of the rice and using a spatula fold to coat well. Garnish with the pine nuts and serve!
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 376mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2480IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2.2mg
Servings: 6 people
I served the sauce over a combination of brown rice, black beans, and blanched spinach and it was DELICIOUS!