Crispy on the bottom and fluffy as a cloud on the inside, these quick and easy homemade sour cream biscuits are absolute perfection!
Best Sour Cream Biscuits Recipe
Every Thanksgiving and Christmas Morning (while still in my PJs), I dust off my biscuit recipe by popular demand, and get to baking.
Fluffy as a cloud on the inside with little golden crisp edges to die for, I swear on my saffron you guys, I could charge for these at the dinner table.
Made simply with organic all purpose flour, a little baking soda, baking powder, extra cold butter, sour cream and heavy cream. Without yeast, eggs or any shortening, as a matter of fact you could make them totally dairy-free if you want.
Biscuit Making Tips
- Cold Ingredients – start with chilled ingredients and work on a cold surface like a marble pastry board. Wash your hands in ice cold water if you can before making the dough..
- Freeze the butter – a quick 15 minutes freeze is enough to make it easy to grate the butter into the flour. This will ensure nice fluffy pockets of fat all throughout the dough that will result in the flakiest most delicious biscuit ever. This works even if you use dairy-free butter, sour cream and cream + it’s better for us and the planet.
- Cutting – use a round biscuit cutter and press straight down on the dough without twisting it. The twisting motion seals the edges and keeps the biscuits from rising up and forming those flaky layers. Remember to pop the cutter in the freezer with the butter for the best results.
- Cast Iron – baking your biscuits in a cast iron skillet gives them that crispy bottom we all love so much. So If you want homemade biscuits like grandma used to make, just go for the cast iron.
- Add herbs – fresh chives add the perfect mild oniony flavor but equally delicious is a sprinkling of caraway or fennel seeds.
What to serve with:
Sour Cream Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour + more for dusting
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream (you can use dairy-free)
- 1.5 cups heavy cream (or cashew cream)
- 3 tbs salted cold butter grated
- 4 tbs fresh chives snipped
- Heat up your oven to 425F degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk in the dry ingredients then grate in the butter, then mix in quickly with your fingers.
- Whisk the sour cream, heavy cream & chives together then fold them into the dry ingredients to form a soft dough, making sure everything is incorporated without over mixing.
- Knead the dough just enough to make it hold together ( about 30 seconds ) then roll it out into 3/4 inch sheet and cut out 12 rounds with your biscuit cutter. Try your best not to twist the biscuit cutter, instead press on straight. Otherwise by twisting it, you risk sealing the sides of the biscuits and they won't fluff up as nicely.
- Line a stainless steel cookie sheet with parchment paper and arrange the cold biscuits on it. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 min until golden brown on top. Cool on a cooling rack and serve with butter.
- When cutting the dough with the biscuit cutter Do Not Twist the cutter, because it seals the edges and your biscuits won’t grow and puff up as they should.
- Experiments with caraway or fennel seeds instead of chives, they make a lovely addition.
- Make it dairy-free! The recipe works great with plant-based sour cream, butter and cashew cream instead of heavy cream. Needless to mention that it is so much better for you too.
You’ll also love: