A rustic Italian roasted tomato soup recipe made with the last of summer’s heirloom tomatoes, slowly roasted with garlic, onions and a splash of white wine!
This roasted tomato soup recipe kids, ahhh!
But before I even dive into telling you about how I could eat this each day every day, spring, summer, fall and winter until the end of time, I’ll rewind a little to explain how this actually came to be.
To make my roasted tomato soup recipe make some sense, you’ll need to rewind a couple of weeks back. My local Sprouts Farmers Market had the greatest organic heirloom tomato sale of all times. We ended up with about 35 pounds of heirloom tomatoes at the shack, yes you read that correct, 35 pounds of tomatoes at $0.98 /lb. Incredible, i know !
So we’ve been living on all things tomatoes: like this cucumber tomato salad, this bruschetta panzanella salad, and lots of fresh tomato salsa. Plus a few bowls of this fresh tomato basil capellini with lots of garlic and jumbo shrimp for Sunday dinner.
Finally this heirloom roasted tomato soup recipe livened up by a sprinkling of fresh herbs from the garden also happened!
This roasted tomato soup recipe is something I would usually make right around the beginning of fall, with the last of summer’s tomato harvest.
But I had this one last box of extra ripe tomatoes sitting on my kitchen counter, and I simply could not resist.
In the fall I would typically make it just as my grandpa would, roast everything at very low heat for the entire day and make the house smell like a small Tuscan town on a chilly winter day. But it’s been so warm for us in California and I just could’t have that oven going for that long, right ?
Actually two and a half hours turned out to be just what those tomatoes needed to collapse and concentrate their flavors, and also get just enough caramelization around the edges to give this roasted tomato soup recipe that homey comforting taste.
It is the simplest, easiest roasted tomato soup recipe you’ll ever make, not to mention healthy!
Everything roasts together with some white wine and fragrant thyme, then gets blended together into a rustic soup and garnished with your favorite herbs. I think it goes without saying, but once you make this roasted tomato soup recipe you’ll never want tomato soup out of a can ever again.
So Tell Me: What’s your favorite soup anyway ? And have you ever made a roasted tomato soup recipe before ? ~ Florentina Xo’s
- 9 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 c olive oil extra virgin
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 c white wine
- 4-5 c vegetable stock
- chives and herbs for garnish
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 350”F. Meanwhile cut the tomatoes and onion into wedges then add them to a large roasting dish, together with the garlic cloves and thyme. Drizzle all over the top with the olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt. Roast in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour the white wine over the tomatoes and roast another hour or so, until the liquid is almost evaporated and you can see nice caramelization around the edges.Discard the thyme.
- Transfer the roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic together with all the juices to a medium soup pot. Reserve a few tomato slices and caramelized onions for garnish if desired, then pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from flame and using a hand held blender puree the soup to your liking.
- Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and red pepper flakes. Serve hot garnished with the reserved roasted tomato wedges, the herbs and a nice drizzle of extra virgin love oil.