The best pumpkin bread recipe from scratch loaded with dark chocolate chips, organic canned pumpkin puree, smooth extra virgin olive oil ( no butter ), then covered in sea salt caramel and toasted coconut. Like a Samoa style decadent cake my friends! Easy like Sunday morning!
Pumpkin + Chocolate + Caramel + Toasted Coconut = Perfection
Any leftovers ?
Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin purée
- 2 large eggs (organic at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg -freshly grated
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate bar or chips (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup sea salt caramel (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt flakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp organic butter - cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350" F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, olive oil, vanilla extract, nutmeg, sugars and pumpkin puree until combined.
- Using a separate bowl combine the flour with a pinch of sea salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chunks but reserve a few to sprinkle on top, then add the flour mix to the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Using a spatula fold the two together until combined, but without over-mixing.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper leaving some hanging out on the sides to make the removal process easy. The extra parchment paper will serve you as handles.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan and sprinkle with the reserved chocolate chunks. Press them down gently using the palm of your hand.
- Bake the pumpkin bread in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Transfer it to a wooden board and allow it to cool. Use the parchment paper to easily remove the bread from the loaf pan.
- Meanwhile toast the coconut.
- Spread the coconut on top of a parchment lined baking sheet in a thin layer. Toast it in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice making sure not to let it burn. The coconut is toasted when it has a nicely golden color. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once your pumpkin bread has cooled off completely, drizzle it over the top with the melted caramel, sprinkle with a pinch of coarse sea salt flakes and cover with the toasted coconut. Allow to caramel to harden on top before slicing.
Make the Caramel
- Heat up the sugar in a medium sauce pan over low flame whisking consistently until the sugar has melted and is turning a nice amber color.
- Whisk in the butter at this point until completely melted.
- Carefully start adding the heavy cream while continuing to whisk. The caramel sauce will bubble because of the difference in temperatures, so you might want to take a little step back. Whisk another 20 seconds or so until the caramel is smooth then remove from heat. Add the sea salt and allow it to cool off completely before drizzling over the pumpkin bread. Store any leftovers in a jar in the refrigerator.