The best, fluffiest blueberry ricotta muffins with streusel topping ever!
What could be better than to die for blueberry muffins loaded with ricotta cheese right? Okay, maybe a luscious lemon glaze if you must!
Browsing through this journal you probably figured out by now that I am not much of a baker, but when I do bake, it is most likely something with ricotta cheese in the mix. That stuff makes my world go around!
You know you could easily turn these into banana or Chocolate Muffins by just making a couple of simple changes. Like substituting the blueberries in the recipe below with diced banana or dark chocolate chips, and adding some melted chocolate to the batter.
You could even bake it into a loaf, just like a banana bread, or even better in a bundt cake pan for an even more impressive presentation.
The recipe calls for coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. So much better than vegetable or canola, but feel free to substitute with melted butter If you must, and coconut milk instead of regular cow’s milk.
The ultimate secret here is to not overmix the batter. Folding the dry and wet ingredients together is key. You can do this!
Blueberry Ricotta Muffins Recipe
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 c coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil 1/3 cup
- 5 Tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 c fresh blueberries (or diced banana)
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 tbs butter cold
- Preheat your oven to 375"
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients and add them to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a spatula fold the two together until incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in the blueberries then fill 9 muffin paper cups 3/4 of the way full (or your favorite muffin pan or silicone muffin cups).
- Make the streusel topping by grating the cold butter over the flour and sugar mixture. Use your fingers to quickly work the mixture together until it looks like wet sand.
- Top each muffin with with 1 tbs of streusel topping if desired, or just sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375"F or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the muffin cups on a wire rack for 10 min.