This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
This easy roasted pear soup with ginger is the loveliest way to honor the fragrant pears this time of year. Tart apples would make a nice addition here too and you can go wild with your garnishes. From gorgonzola to blue cheese crumbles to roasted chestnuts and pecans, there is something for everyone.
I am undeniably on a soup kick, hence this ginger spiked pear soup recipe today. I made it a habit long ago to have a bowl of soup at some point throughout the day. Something I picked up as a child.
As I was searching for organic pumpkins and squashes at the market, I asked myself the question: does the world really need another pumpkin recipe ? Of course it does, what kind of question is that ?! You see, I often times have these conversations with myself inside my head, just to have a second opinion; if that makes any kind of sense to you, I hope it does…
Anyways, I could not find any organic pumpkins which really threw me off for a loop. I mean, I am in California In the middle of October, just looking for an organic pumpkin. Nada!
So I picked up a bunch of organic Bartlett pears instead, they were so beautiful, and I absolutely love pears, mostly chilled when I get a midnight craving.
And that’s how this roasted pear soup actually came to life.
It only happened because I could not find the pumpkin, which actually brought me to the realization that maybe the world doesn’t need any more pumpkin recipes, that we should pay a little more attention to the different pear variety as well, it’s their season too, right ?!
This pear soup definitely screams fall and comfort, extra creamy without any help from cream or butter at all. Fruity, a little bit sweet with a nice spice from that ginger root. We absolutely fell in love with this recipe and will definitely have it on the holiday table. My butternut squash and apple soup finally found its match.
Worth noting that I used a tiny bit of saffron here, just to enhance the color of the yellow pears; not enough to interfere with the final taste of the pear soup, and totally optional. You could actually even use some turmeric If you are a fan.
This roasted pear soup is so easy to make + It can be prepared in advance!
Just warm it before serving, garnish with micro greens or edible flowers and a tiny drizzle of that special extra virgin olive oil.
Rumor has it that pear soup is great for cough and a sore throat. If you have a cold, the flu or just feeling under the weather this could be your new best friend!
Pear Soup Recipe
- 4 yellow Bartlett pears organic
- 2 yellow carrots organic
- 1 orange carrot organic
- 1/2 yellow onion organic
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 thyme sprigs
- Sea salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c dry white wine
- A splash of maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp grated ginger + more to taste
- 5 c vegetable stock or filtered water
- A tiny pinch of saffron
- 1/4 c micro greens for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400"F. Rinse the carrots and cut them into sticks or rounds. Cut the pears into eight wedges discarding the seeds and core.
- Add the pears, carrots, onion, bay leaf and thyme to a large roasting dish and gently toss them with the olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Drizzle with the maple syrup and splash with the white wine. Roast in the preheated oven for about 1 hour until nicely caramelized. Stir once halfway.
- A few minutes before the pears and carrots are done heat up the stock or water in a soup pot. Add the saffron and ginger, cover with a lid and let sit for a few minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs from the roasting pan, and transfer al the caramelized pears, carrots and onion to the soup pot with the stock. Bring to a gently simmer and remove from heat. Using a hand-held immersion blender purée the soup until smooth and creamy. Transfer to bowls and serve with a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and colorful micro greens on top.
- Variations:serve with crispy sage on toproast the pears with sweet potatoes or butternut squash
You’ll Also Love:
This Pear Soup from Michael Chiarello
This Sweet Potato & Pear Soup with Sage from Love and Lemons