This creamy vegan mushroom soup is made with a medley of meaty wild mushrooms, leeks and homemade cashew cream. Easy to make from scratch and out of this world delicious! To make a hearty meal of things wilt in a handful of dark leafy greens and add in some cooked wild rice, barley, farro or gnocchi dumplings.
Vegan Mushroom Soup + Video
Earthy mushrooms and homemade cashew cream are the magical ingredients in this all time favorite Zuppa di Funghi. A cozy savory creamy soup recipe that is actually healthy and good for you. From the festive holiday table to a meatless weeknight dinner, this is the ultimate cream of mushroom soup recipe for any occasion.
Like most soups It’s particularly lovely enjoyed with a chunk of Italian crusty bread, focaccia or garlicky bruschetta. If i can also get a cucumber and tomato salad on the side i’m personally in flavor heaven!
- The Mushrooms – I love using a medley of wild mushrooms here with all their earthy aromas. Think hen of the woods, chanterelles, oysters, enoki, shiitakes, porcini etc.. Of course you can also make this soup with a bunch cremini (baby bella) button mushrooms all year long.
- Leeks + Aromatics – My favorite way to create a deep first layer of flavor. Make sure to slice and rinse them well as they can be quite sandy. Carrot and celery complete the flavor profile with their natural sweetness.
- Cashew Cream – A rich dairy free cream from scratch that doesn’t curdle and is actually good for you. No need to even soak the nuts if using a powerful blender like a Vitamix, silky perfection.
- Herbs – Thyme and bay is my go to combo, if you don’t like those you can opt for bolder flavors from rosemary and sage.
- White Wine – Dry white wine really gives this soup a special depth of flavor and balances out the earthiness of the mushrooms, however feel free to skip it entirely if your heart so desires.
- Veggie Stock or Water – Any leftover homemade veggie stock will be great, if using store bough choose a low sodium option or just use water.
- Flour – To create a thick and creamy soup we need a little bit of flour. I like using a whole grain like whole wheat pastry flour but all purpose flour works just fine. If desired you can omit it entirely, the soup will still be lusciously creamy, just not as thick.
- Dark Leafy Greens – Such a great way to boost up the micronutrient profile of the soup and our immunity system. Mustard greens, different kinds of kale, baby spinach or chard, whatever is having a moment or needs to get used up from the fridge.
Since this soup is made without dairy cream or milk you can make ahead and freeze it in air-tight containers for later use. Remember to allow it to thaw out overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. It keeps well in the fridge up to 5 days and reheats well on the stovetop or microwave oven.
More Soup + Stews
- Mushroom Stew
- Dairy-Free Potato Soup
- Pasta e Ceci
- Zuppa Toscana
- Italian White Bean Soup
- Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup.
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Soup
Vegan Mushroom Soup - Zuppa di Funghi
- 1 cup wild rice farro or barley
- 2 1/4 cups water or veggie stock
- 1 Tbsp white miso paste optional
- sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 1 cup Water
Make the Cashew Cream
- Rinse the cashews well and steep them in hot water for 25 minutes. Drain and rinse again then add them to a powerful blender with one cup of water and the juice from half a lemon. Puree until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until needed. (If using a powerful blender like a Vitamix you can skip the soaking step).1 cup raw cashews, 1 cup Water, 1/2 lemon - juiced
Make the Soup
- Preheat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat. Add a light drizzle of olive oil (or a splash of veggie stock) and saute the leeks with a pinch of salt until wilted and the leeks start to get a little color.1 leek
- Stir in the red pepper flakes, carrots and celery together with the bay leaves and thyme and continue cooking until the veggies start to soften. Sir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant taking care not to burn it.2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, 1 pinch red pepper flakes, 2 bay leaves, 8-10 sprigs fresh thyme, 4 cloves garlic
- Depending on their size make sure to tear the mushrooms into smaller pieces if needed and separated the hen of the woods and enoki varieties from the cluster. (If using shiitakes make sure to discard the stem as it is tough and woodsy then tear the caps into smaller pieces).
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and give everything a good stir. Allow to sweat until they release their moisture and it evaporates almost completely. Stir the onion powder and the white wine. Bring to a simmer and bubble away until all the liquid has been absorbed.1.5 lb wild mushrooms, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Meanwhile warm up the veggie stock and whisk in the chickpea miso if using.8.5 cups veggie stock, 1 Tbsp white miso paste
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms then pour in the veggie stock. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for a good 10 minutes until the soup has thickened.1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Add the cashew cream, taste and adjust seasonings with the sea salt and black pepper. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve with wild rice mixed in. Alternatively you can ladle the mushroom soup into oven proof bowls and top with a sheet of puff pastry (vegan) to make pot pies. Bake @375" for 15 minutes or so until golden.sea salt + black pepper to taste
Prep the Wild Rice
- While the soup is cooking work on the grains. Rinse and drain the wild rice in a couple of changes of water. Bring 2 1/4 cups of water to a boil, add a pinch of sea salt and the rinsed rice. Bring back to a boil, turn the flame down to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 45 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 more minutes before fluffing with a fork. Set aside until needed.1 cup wild rice, 2 1/4 cups water or veggie stock
- The Mushrooms - I love using a medley of wild mushrooms here with all their earthy aromas. Think hen of the woods, chanterelles, oysters, enoki, shiitakes, porcini etc.. Of course you can also make this soup with a bunch cremini (baby bella) button mushrooms all year long.
- Swaps - The wild rice can be swapped for barley, farro, quinoa, even lentils or omitted altogether.
- Storage - since this mushroom soup is made without dairy cream or milk you can make ahead and freeze it in air-tight containers for later use. Remember to allow it to thaw out overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. It keeps well in the fridge up to 5 days and reheats well on the stovetop or microwave oven.
You’ll Also Love: