Dairy Free Potato Soup Recipe + Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
This easy dairy free potato soup is made without using any heavy cream or gluten flour but it is silky creamy, nutritious and oh so flavorful. Simply divine and comforting, load it up with your favorite vegetables for a hearty meatless meal everyone is sure to love.
Dairy Free Potato Soup
Lusciously creamy but without the dairy, you are guaranteed to be going back for seconds of this best homemade potato soup from scratch.
Filling, cheesy, loaded with broccoli or your favorite veggies and pure vegetarian, which really means that it’s naturally vegan. A really good soup to keep on rotation all year long!
Recipe Tips + FAQ
- How do you thicken potato soup without dairy? Forget the flour, heavy cream and cornstarch thickeners, this good for you soup is made thick and insanely creamy by the magical powers of raw cashews. If you have’t tried this method before prepare to have your mind blown away for real.
- How do I thin down the soup? Simply add in a splash of veggie stock or even water and mix well until combined and the texture is thin enough to your liking.
- Storage – These leftovers reheat well on the stove top or microwave and since it doesn’t contain any dairy it can be frozen up to 4 months in freezer safe glass containers. Remember to thaw it out in the fridge or room temperature before reheating with your favorite method.
- What are the best potatoes for soup? Choose Yukon gold potatoes if available. I love these semi waxy potatoes, a little bit starchy, thin skins that need no peeling, they will yield the silkiest of creamy textures, my favorites to use from soups to roasting to au gratin. Of course you can also make use here of any Russets that might be in your pantry right now, but you will need to peel their tough and skins.
- Leeks vs Onion – Either will work just fine in this soup but leeks have so much more flavor in my humble opinion, use them if you have them. Once sliced however, make sure to give them a good rinse in a bowl of cold water. Since they grow underground they are usually full of grit and sandy soil in between the layers, this will naturally sink to the bottom of the bowl while the leeks will float. At this point you can easily scoop out the clean leeks with your hands or use a slotted spoon. Transfer to a tea towel and pat dry before sauteeing in a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of veggie stock.
Add Ins Ideas
Besides broccoli, green beans or cauliflower florets you can add some nutritious baby kale to wilt straight into the soup. Any cooked veggies, cooked rice, quinoa, smoky tempeh bacon bits, gnocchi, even chickpeas would make a great addition here. Caramelizing the green tops of the leeks and serving them as a garnish is beyond delicious as well, after all potatoes and leeks are a match made in flavor heaven.
watch how to make dairy free potato soup video
Dairy Free Potato Soup
- 1 small leek (white + pale green parts only or 1 onion) chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb golden potatoes scrubbed, rinsed & diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 7 cups vegetable stock or water low sodium
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 lb broccoli florets or green beans fresh or frozen
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional for color, mix in with the veggie stock)
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Slice the leeks into rounds and rinse well in a bowl of cold water. Allow any grit/sand to fall to the bottom of the bowl then use your hands or a slotted spoon to transfer the clean leeks to a tea towel and pat dry.1 small leek (white + pale green parts only or 1 onion)
- Preheat a heavy stock up over medium low heat with a light drizzle of olive oil. Sauté the leeks (or onion) with a pinch of salt until softened and translucent, about 15 minutes.1 small leek (white + pale green parts only or 1 onion)
- Add the carrots and celery and give everything a nice toss. Cover with a lid and sweat a few more minutes until the carrots begin to soften.1 carrot, 1 celery rib
- Add the garlic, turmeric, potatoes, cashews and vegetable stock. Bring everything to a simmer, stir in the nutritional yeast, cover with a lid and cook about 20 minutes until the potatoes and cashews have softened.4 cloves garlic, 2 lb golden potatoes, 7 cups vegetable stock or water, 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- Carefully transfer the soup to a powerful blender and purée until silky smooth. (the Vitamix did an exponentially better job at this than my immersion blender).
- Transfer the creamy soup back to the pot and bring to a simmer again. Add the broccoli florets or green beans, cover with a lid and cook a few more minutes until the broccoli is softened to your liking. Alternatively while your soup is cooking you can steam the vegetables to perfection then add them into the soup.1 lb broccoli florets or green beans
- Taste and adjust seasoning with the sea salt. Add more vegetable stock at this point to thin out the soup if you prefer and serve with a pinch of red pepper flakes and black pepper.1 pinch sea salt, 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- How do you thicken potato soup without dairy? Forget the flour, heavy cream and cornstarch thickeners, this good for you soup is made thick and insanely creamy by the magical powers of raw cashews. If you have't tried this method before prepare to have your mind blown away for real.
- How do I thin down the soup? Simply add in a splash of veggie stock or even water and mix well until combined to your liking.
- Leftovers - This soup reheats well on the stove top or microwave and can be frozen up to 4 months in freezer safe glass containers. Remember to thaw it out in the fridge or room temperature before reheating with your favorite method.
- The Veggies - You can cook those straight in the soup after blending but I prefer to steam them to perfection then add them to the pot of soup. Your call!
One of the best recipes I have stumbled upon in a really long time. I added a mix of steamed veggies at the end and we were fully satisfied. If you are a fan of cheesy potato soup you will absolutely love this.