Let’s Talk Lentils!
A simple, healthy, vegetarian, red lentil soup with smoky notes from roasted red peppers and smoked paprika.
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 3 bell peppers -roasted and cleaned
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil -organic
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion -diced
- 1 large carrot -sliced
- 1/2 cup green peas -frozen
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 leaf bay
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin + more to your taste
- 1 pinch sea salt (to your taste buds)
- 1/2 cup Herbs -for garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 cup vegan sausage diced – optional
- 2 1/2 qt filtered water
- In a large cast iron pot heat up 2 tbsp of the olive oil and cook the whole garlic cloves on medium flame until golden. Add the onion with a pinch of sea salt and saute together until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, bay leaf and thyme. Add the lentils and pour in the water. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile add the roasted peppers with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and the red wine vinegar to the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth and add it to the soup.
Stir to combine, partially cover with a lid and allow the soup to simmer gently for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through and the broth has reduced to a thick soup consistency.
Add the frozen green peas and vegan sausage, simmer a few more minutes until heated through. Adjust seasoning to your taste with sea salt and serve hot garnished with fresh herbs, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a few toasted pumpkin seeds.
You’ll Also Love: