Ricotta Frittata or “Frittata e Ricotta” , a one pan Italian omelette, an easy dish of leftovers meant to feed a crowd, started on the stove top in your cast iron skillet and finished in the oven.
Just because it is made up of leftovers, a frittata recipe doesn’t mean it is allowed to be a mediocre meal. Au contraire kids, a good ricotta frittata is supposed to be like a fluffy cloud made of custard and filled with tiny pockets of delicious surprises. Creamy ricotta and sweet oven roasted tomatoes (pomodorini) in today’s recipe.
The best frittata recipe can be served for breakfast, brunch or dinner, because it is easy, hearty and it can feed a crowd.
I usually calculate 2 eggs/person, so you can prepare it for 2, 4, 8 people or a larger crowd if you have the pan.
Frittata Variations include:
- ricotta squash blossoms (recipe below)
- Italian sausage or chorizo
- prosciutto al forno
- grilled chicken
- steamed broccoli or asparagus
- grilled zucchini or squash
- potatoes and sausage
- garlic spinach ( e spinaci)
- sauteed mushrooms (e funghi)
- leftover grilled veggies
- Leeks and potatoes
Secrets to the best ricotta frittata recipe:
- Numero Uno: Make sure your oven is nicely hot and ready for the frittata.
- Numero Due: Don’t mess with the frittata, don’t stir it, don’t fluff the frittata, let it be and fluff itself!
” Now, the beauty of a ricotta frittata “
Ricotta Frittata Recipe
- 12 eggs organic at room temperature
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 c ricotta cheese
- 20 squash blossoms
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano dry
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 20 leaves basil sma;;
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/3 c roasted cherry tomatoes optional
- Preheat your oven to 350” F.
- Rinse the squash blossoms and remove the stamens from the middle. Tear each flower on the side as to spread it open. Set on a kitchen towel to dry.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and sea salt. Se aside.
- Preheat a medium cast iron skillet over low to medium flame with a drop of olive oil, making sure it coats both the bottom and the sides nicely in a super thin layer. Pour the whisked eggs in the cast iron skillet and allow it to set for about 2 minutes or so.
- Using a small spoon start dropping half of the ricotta cheese by spoonfuls. Add the open squash blossoms next to each other in layers, reserving 3 for garnish. Top with the remaining ricotta cheese by spoonfuls and sprinkle with the roasted cherry tomatoes if using. Season all over the top with the red pepper flakes and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the frittata is set and golden brown on top.
- Serve the frittata hot garnished with the remaining squash blossoms and the fresh basil leaves on top.