Chocolate Covered Orange Slices Treats
Juicy and sweet, oranges are one of the most popular fruits in the world. I love oranges, they remind me of Christmas and how my mom used to throw the peels in the fire to make the house smell insanely good.
I’ve gone a little bit orange crazy this week, starting with my Blood Orange Cranberry Sauce and Candied Orange Peels. There were two more things I wanted to make: Orangettes and Chocolate Covered Orange Slices. Since I candied all my peels and ate them I couldn’t make Orangettes, but the chocolate covered orange slices were such a hit that I’m going to make them again for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I’m not sure what i love more at this point, chocolate covered orange slices or chocolate covered ruby red grapefruit slices…Hmm..I’m partial to the grapefruit today, but I think an assortment of citrus would be my ideal choice. Play around with the coverage levels as well, do some slices completely covered in chocolate while some just partially covered. It makes for a pretty presentation and a beautiful pop of color. I suggest picking citrus that seems heavy for their size, as those will be the juiciest of all.
- 2 large oranges, blood oranges, grapefruit or 6 tangerines
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate, organic
- ½ tbs butter, salted
- coarse sea salt, for garnish
- mint or edible flowers, for garnish
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Mix to combine and once melted turn off the flame.
- Wash and peel the oranges removing as much of the pith as possible. Separate them into perfect slices and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Take each orange slice and dip it in the chocolate. Pick it up with a pair of tongs and allow the excess chocolate to drain. Transfer each orange slice, one by one to a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a few flakes of sea salt and place in the refrigerator for the chocolate to set.
- Arrange on a serving platter and serve.