Homemade breakfast egg burger bruschetta style: on grilled garlic rubbed brioche and topped with a perfect cast iron fried egg. The ultimate burger of your dreams!
Photo by: MihaMatei.com | Food Style: by Florentina
Then I used the best organic grass fed ground beef to make a thick burger patty which i seasoned with the most magical spices: smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Then I topped it all with gooey pepper jack or smoked mozzarella, sweet caramelized onions, peppery arugula, a slice of heirloom tomato and the perfect fried egg with a runny yolk. Sauteed garlic spinach would be really nice here too.
A breakfast bruschetta burger fit for royalty!
10 Tips for the Perfect Breakfast Egg Burger:
- Don’t overwork the meat!
This is probably the most important rule as most people tend to overwork the meat and end up with a tough burger.
- Make Thick Patties!
Use both hands to shape 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick patties, anything thinner than that will end up being dry.
- Create a well!
Gently press in the center of the patty to create a little well, this way your burger will be perfectly flat once cooked.
Season the patties very well with sea salt, black pepper and the spices all over, just before grilling it.
- Heat up the grill / skillet!
Use a very hot cast grill pan or skillet to cook both the burger and the egg. This way you get a nice sear on the outside and the inside stays moist.
- Don’t touch It!
Keep your hands off of the burger for 3 minutes. Just leave it alone then flip it once for a medium rare result. Leave it an extra minute for a medium well done burger.
Use different kinds of nice melting cheeses like the pepper jack mentioned above, fontina, Swiss or creamy Brie, add it to your burger one minute before it leaves the grill.
- Toppings! What goes on a breakfast burger?
Get creative with your toppings: caramelized onions, sun dried tomatoes, pesto, sauteed spinach, pan seared apple slices, sauteed mushrooms, crispy bacon, grilled zucchinis, roasted peppers, avocado.
- the Buns!
Use a soft brioche type bun and grill it lightly before rubbing with a garlic clove and spread some sauce like this red pepper pesto to make it Exquisite.
- Let them rest!
Let the patties rest for a few minutes after you remove them from the grill. This will give the juices enough time to redistribute and have flavor in every bite.
Breakfast Egg Burger Recipe
- 2/3 lb ground beef organic grass fed
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 c caramelized onion
- 2 brioche buns
- 2 slices heirloom tomato
- 1/2 c arugula
- 1/4 c micro greens
- 2 eggs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 1/4 c red pepper pesto optional
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Using lightly oiled hands shape the ground beef into 2 burger patties, approximately 1 inch thick. Set on a plate an gently press to form a well in the center.
- Drizzle the burger patties with a light drizzle of olive oil and generously season all over with the sea salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper flakes. Set aside and allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium flame and sear the burger patties for 3 minutes on each side. Using a pair of tongues pick up the burger and hold it upright to sear the edges all around, another 30 seconds or so.
- Lay the burger flat on the cast iron skillet and place the pepper jack cheese on top. Turn off the flame and cover the burger loosely with some aluminum foil to help the cheese melt on top.
- Meanwhile preheat another cast iron skillet and add a lug of olive oil. Crack the eggs in the center and season over the top with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Cook until crispy around the edges but the yolk is creamy.
- Grill the brioche bun to your liking on the cast iron pan and using the garlic clove gently rub the grilled inside.
- Assemble your burger by placing the arugula leaves on top of the brioche bun, topped with the tomato slice and a pinch of sea salt. Follow with the burger and cheese patty, caramelized onions and the fried egg on top. Sprinkle with the micro greens and top with the bun. Enjoy !
- If using the red pepper pesto slather that on first before topping with the arugula.