Meatless Monday calls for this creamy vegan mushroom risotto . It was brought to my attention that some people think that a vegan risotto would simply not be as creamy and comforting as a regular risotto since it is missing the magic creamy ingredient: butter ! So why bother ?
Well, well, well, do I have news for you kids ?! The creaminess of a vegan risotto could be equal to that of a regular risotto. That’s because the creaminess of the risotto really comes from the rice grains that are being stirred patiently for the starches to release. The butter adds flavor and a certain silkyness, but creaminess comes from the grains.
The trick here is to stir the risotto as often as you can during the 25 minutes cooking time. Have a little patience with it and you’ll see no cheese nor butter is needed to achieve an amazing vegan mushroom risotto .
Especially if you get your hands on a mix of wild mushrooms at the market. A few shiitake, some chanterelles, a couple of morels, you can really stir up a a vegan mushroom risotto better than a 5 start restaurant. I must say, the few little morels I threw in there really worked their magic.
Since this is meatless Monday kind of meal, I take a shortcut with a good organic store-bought mushroom stock. However, I have yet to find one that is as good as the one made at home. So If you have the extra 20 minutes, please do pick up some dehydrated porcini or shiitake mushrooms at the market. Pour some hot water over them and simmer with some thyme, bay leaf, garlic and onion for a little bit. 20 minutes is all you need to extract all that mushroomy deep flavor and add it to your creamy vegan mushroom risotto.
This is definitely a good holiday dish as well, go crazy with all kinds of mushrooms for a beautiful presentation. Who knows, your vegan mushroom risotto might just be the star centerpiece at your next holiday table. But If you must put on a show for a pescatarian in your life then I’d say the shell-fish risotto is your winning card 😉
As far as i’m concerned pasta and risotto is the way to everyones’s heart.
Vegan Mushroom Risotto RecipePrint Recipe
- Season the mushroom stock with sea salt and black pepper to your taste.
- In a large skillet heat up the olive oil and sautee the onion until translucent. Stir in the risotto rice and stir to coat in the oils and toast for just a minute.
- Hit the pan with the white one and simmer until almost all of it is absorbed by the rice grain, but don’t let it evaporate completely. You never want the rice to get dried out completely in the process.
- Start adding a ladle full of the hot mushroom stock while making sure to stir often for all the starches to be released. Continue this process for about 25 minutes until the rice is cooked but still al dente. Add one more ladle of the mushroom stock and stir in the lemon zest. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let it sit while you work on the mushrooms.
- Heat up a large cast iron skillet on medium high flame and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add all the wild mushrooms and a pinch of sea salt and stir fry them for a few minutes until they start to soften and get a little color. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for about 20 seconds, just enough to release its flavor without burning.
- Give the risotto one last good stir and transfer it to a serving bowl or divide between 4 plates. (If you like it looser you can add a little more mushroom stock right before serving). Top with the sautéed mushrooms, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and then squeeze the lemon all over the top. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with lemon wedges.