A rustic style potato and egg salad recipe dressed in a smooth olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing, finished with crunchy toasted pine nuts and fresh herbs !
This rustic potato and egg salad recipe served warm or cold, is one of those easy and super delicious meals you can make with staple ingredients that you probably have in your pantry at all times. Eggs, potatoes and onions, dressed with a smooth extra virgin olive oil, a touch of red wine vinegar and seasoned with sea salt. Makes for a wonderful vegetarian lunch or side dish to a perfectly grilled steak.
It is what my grandma made every year on Good Friday: this Potato and Egg Salad Recipe ! And we all loved it so much that we never had enough. It is so comforting that you just want to keep eating, trust me on this one, I know, not proud of it, but once a year it’s acceptable for everyone, right ?!
Lots of fresh dill and a little crunch from toasted pine nuts or pepitas, is all you need to chef this rustic potato and egg salad recipe up a little. Sliced red chile pepper or simply red pepper flakes adds a nice fiery bite for those with more adventurous taste buds.
Try it with some stuffed spicy marinated olives and roasted peppers on top, even dill pickles would be a very nice addition. I always make a leftover bowl for the next day and top it with whatever goodies are hiding in my refrigerator door, including stinky anchovies. It’s a winner baby ! Often times I put my California spin on it with a sliced avocado on top and a squeeze of lime. Try it, it’s pretty awesome !
This potato and egg salad recipe has stood the test of time, and it is sure to never go out of style.
Just like the rustic paprika potatoes it will show up on dinner tables around the world, generation after generation, because rustic food feeds more than the belly, it feeds the soul !
- 4 lb organic yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 6 scallions or 1 medium red onion -thinly sliced
- 8 organic large eggs -hard boiled, cooled & sliced
- ¾ c extra virgin olive oil + more to taste
- ⅓ c red wine vinegar +more to taste
- 2 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh dill for garnish, roughly chopped
- ½ c pine nuts or pepitas, toasted
- 1 -2 tsp red pepper flakes to taste
- Whisk the olive oil and red wine vinegar together then toss with the onion. Season with the sea salt and allow the flavors to marry while the potatoes are cooking.
- Wash the potatoes and cover with cold water and a good pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil then simmer with the skins on until soft when pierced with a knife (about 25 min). Drain them and allow to sit until cool enough to handle. Peel the skins off of the potatoes and slice them in ⅓ inch slices or into wedges. Boil the eggs and cut them into slices.
- In a large bowl gently toss the potatoes and eggs with the olive oil red wine vinegar dressing and the marinated onions. Adjust seasonings and stir in the dill reserving some for garnish. Serve with some freshly cracked black pepper on top, garnished with the fresh dill and the toasted pine nuts or pepitas.
You’ll Also Love: