Easy, step by step guide on how to make the best lemon curd filling at home, using organic egg yolks, lemon and sugar.
A fruit spread made with only the freshest organic, free range egg yolks, freshly squeezed lemon juice, zest, sugar and butter!
Don’t skip the butter ok ? It will make things silky and smooth, and rich and amazing!
Like a lemon pudding, but I swear it’s even better.
No gelatin and no yuckies! Duhhhh!
Technically a custardy fruit curd, it can also be made with oranges, tangerines, limes, mango, passionfruit and berries.
Lemon curd uses:
- as cake filling in this Italian lemon olive oil cake with mascarpone
- as a chilled dessert loaded with berries (recipe follows)
- on puff pastry, tarts and cookies with berries
- lemon bars and pies
- as filling for crepes, eclairs, muffins and cupcakes <– note to self 😉
- make parfaits with granola and ricotta
To make your lemon curd thicken nicely without curdling, you must only use egg yolks, no egg whites and cook it on steam in a double boiler, never on direct flame.
Easy Lemon Curd Filling Recipe
- Heat up about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a double boiler.
- Add the egg yolks and sugar to the top pan of the double boiler and whisk well to combine. Whisk in the lemon juice and place it on top of the steam, making sure the bottom doesn't touch the simmering water below.
- Continue to gently whisk for a few minutes making sure the curd doesn’t stick to the bottom. About 10 minutes, until it thickens up enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove pan from the steam and whisk in the cold butter until melted. Add the lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure it touches the surface. This will prevent the curd from forming a crust. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use as a filling this Italian Lemon Olive Oil Cake ,or serve chilled in dessert bowls with blackberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.