A classic, creamy sun dried tomato risotto recipe with toasted pine nuts and fresh basil.
This sun dried tomato risotto is a celebration of sun dried tomatoes. They are ripe tomatoes that have been dried in the sun until most of their water content has evaporated. Deep red in color with a chewy texture and intense flavor, can be used in the kitchen year round. In Italy they used to be placed to dry on the tile roofs of people’s houses.
Rich in anti oxidants, vitamin C and lycopene and low in fat and calories. To make 1 pound of sun dried tomatoes you need about 20 pounds of fresh tomatoes. Follow these instructions to learn how to sun dry your own tomatoes.
They are great to snack on and absolutely divine in a risotto. Here is my extra creamy version of the Italian classic, a simple dish packed full of flavor, texture and aromas – Florentina xo’s
Sun Dried Tomato Risotto Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 2.5 oz Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 tbs EV olive oil +3 Tbs butter
- 1 tbs cold butter
- 1 small onion - minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock -hot
- 3/4 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano -freshly grated
- 8 leaves basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts -toasted
- Rehydrate your tomatoes by pouring the 5 cups of hot stock over them and let it sit for 20 min. Reserve the stock and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat up the olive oil and butter on med flame in a wide saute pan and sweat the onions with a pinch of sea salt for 10 min until softened and translucent.
- Stir in the arborio rice and let cook until it becomes opaque(3 min).
- Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon until absorbed but do not let the rice dry out completely. Add the tomatoes then start adding the stock a ladle at a time stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Once the stock has been absorb add another ladle full. You want to maintain a constant ripple during this process and never let the rice dry out completely.
- Continue until the grains are tender, season with sea salt and remove from heat. Stir in 1 tbs cold butter, the parmigiano reggiano and sprinkle with the pine nuts and basil leaves. Serve hot next to your favorite grilled meat.
P.S. this ShellFish Risotto Recipe <—-Heaven !